[Electronics-Talk] [EXT] music apps and radio

Haro, Juan, CFB Juan.Haro at state.nm.us
Wed Jul 3 14:48:52 UTC 2019

There are many things to consider when answering this question. I will describe my preferred approach.

I have an iPhone that I use for tons of tasks including the listening of music. I am subscribed to Apple Music which has a $10 a month cost. I like it for its convenience and close integration with Siri. I can simply ask Siri to play a certain song, artist, album, or playlist. If I wish to search for something specific, I can go into the Music app and explore various music genres, artists, and playlists .

I also like and use TuneIn Radio, the free edition. It gives me free access to some local radio stations and even CNN's audio stream. I find the free version meets my needs. The Pro version of this TuneIn would give me access to audio feeds for baseball games and other sports but I don't find this compelling for my use.

These two options work well if portability is a factor. Otherwise, a cheaper solution would be using the Alexa products which in many cases are easier on the wallet. I have and like the Echo Dot, 3rd generation. It has nice sound quality for such a small device but it requires a Wi-Fi connection and a connection to electricity. For an office or home setting, it is great. I got mine for about $35. This product would not give you the offline use. I stream TuneIn Radio using the available Alexa skill.

For offline use and portability, an iPhone, iPod Touch, or an Ipad would work best.

Hope this gives you some useful information.

Juan F. Haro, M.A., NOMC, NCUEB, NCLB
Technology Trainer
New Mexico Commission for the Blind
400 N. Pennsylvania Avenue, Suite 900