[Electronics-Talk] am/fm tuning in an hd market

Steve Jacobson steve.jacobson at visi.com
Wed May 1 19:45:04 UTC 2019

Jude,

>From what I know of you, you probably already know this, but often the power
cord functions as the antenna on table radios for FM.  You could improve
results by moving the power cord around.  Be sure you don't coil up the cord
in an effort to get it out of the way, as that might make reception worse.
If it is a battery operated radio that does not have an antenna, it is
probably using the headphone cord and the same applies there.

AM stations are received by a loop antenna inside the radio.  Make sure the
radio is not oriented the exact wrong way for a specific station by rotating
it slightly.  However, HD should not affect that.  I am not familiar with
any radios that lock in on AM stations so am not quite sure what the issue
is there.  A strong AM HD station will have what appears to be noise on
either side of it but there should be a clear analog signal in the middle.

Best regards,

Steve Jacobson