[Electronics-Talk] FW: [GTTsupport] Why there is no more paid version of Nearby Explorer

Eric Calhoun eric at pmpmail.com
Thu Oct 31 23:01:06 UTC 2019

Original Message:
From: "David Diamond" <thediamondtouchdogtraining at outlook.com>
To: "GTTsupport at groups.io" <GTTsupport at groups.io>
Subject: [GTTsupport] Why there is no more paid version of Nearby
Explorer
Date:
Wed, 30 Oct 2019 15:19:29 +0000

I got this directly off the nearby explorer list and from one of the
developers who seems to monitor that list.  Sorry, if it has already been
posted to this group.  There are a number of reasons we decided to drop
support for NAVTEQ maps. I have them listed below.

*             The engine we've used to access NAVTEQ data is no longer
supported. This led to the iOS bug with version 13 (which Apple did remedy,
for now, with its latest update), and also has stopped us from updating the
paid version in the Play store (Google now requires a 64 bit version of the
app, but the engine only has a 32 bit version).

*             The place we use store the data for the indoor function is
OSM. As we move to equip more and more buildings with this feature, it
makes OSM a vital part of our system.

*             Our app requires more flexibility than what NAVTEQ
provides. One example is the ability for users to add, edit, or delete
points of interest.

We really do hope the changes are going to result in a better product for
our customers! By switching to one, zero cost application, we can put all
our resources toward making it the best it can be for all users.

View/Reply Online (#21420): https://groups.io/g/GTTsupport/message/21420
Group Owner: GTTsupport+owner at groups.io
Unsubscribe:
https://groups.io/g/GTTsupport/leave/3285554/1174730913/xyzzy