[Electronics-Talk] SAP on PBS Country Music

Arlene arlenes71154 at earthlink.net
Wed Sep 18 22:34:40 UTC 2019

Tracy, We watched the country music special last night, and had the audio
description set on our tvs and our iphones, but there was no audio
description except for the man narating the documentary. It would be great,
if nothing else, if there could be describing, in saying the names of the
people speaking, if that could be done right before the person begins
talking, or have the name of the person said softly as the person is talking
since sometimes, another voice will start talking after the first voice.
Anyway I've noticed this happening, where you don't hear the audio
description whether it be on a reality show or documentary. It could be
either on either type of show, whether it be a reality show or documentary,
there's enough description by the narrator, or the other situation is that
even though there's programs that have the audio description, it doesn't
come through by those channels. I might be saying this wrong, but some time
ago someone on one of the lists was explaining to me, that allowing or
including the audio descriptions, that decision is made by the local
networ,, but I could have that wrong. Like for example in the oklahoma city
area Any shows that are on channel 4 which is the nbc  local channel, any of
the shows that are audio described we get no audio description. Then channel
5 which is the local a b c channel and channel 9 which is the local cbs
channel, any of the shows that are audio described, we  get the audio
describing on those shows. I don't know, possibly that's the case with some
of the pbs channels that the describing doesn't come through. Anyway, we
love this special, and we'll be watching it tonight.  We found out about it
on monday and we recorded part 2 and part 3 and we'll record part 4 tonight,
and sunday, when they replay all the parts from this week we'll record part
1. So if anyone has missed the first 3 parts, and maybe missed part 4
tonight, this coming Sunday starting at 12 pm eastern, and 11 am central,
pbs will air part 1, part 2, part 3 and part 4, and then sunday night part 5
will air. Each night that these parts are aired our channel plays the
night's episode 4 times so it makes it even handier to watch it, timewise or
if you want to record it a second time.  Next week it will be the same as
this week with Parts 5 to part 8 with sunday aring part 5, monday part 6,
tuesday part 7 and wednesday part 8, and then sunday,  there will be the
replaying of parts5, 6, 7 and 8.  In going through the 2 weeks of scheduling
on the pbs channel we found out about the country music concert  hosting by
Ken Burns, celebrating this country music special. It was kind of strange,
but so far from what we can tell the concert is only airing one time, and
that's this coming sunday,  way early sunday morning at 1 am central time,
so it's something that can be easily missed. So if any of you would like to
see the concert as well, check your pbs channel's listings. We're going to
record it as well, so if you don't find the concert, I would be happy to
send it to any of you. I have some information here about the concert and
who's going to be performing at the concert, and I'll put my email address
at the end of the message in case anyone misses the concert. Also I'll put
the link to this information at the end of the article, and since the link
is pretty long, I also made it into a tiny url. So here's the information
about the concert.
PBS and Ryman Auditorium Announce "Country Music: Live at the Ryman, a
Concert Celebrating
the Film by Ken Burns" Set for March 27
Celebration of Documentary to Feature Appearances by Dierks Bentley, Rosanne
Cash,
Rodney Crowell, Rhiannon Giddens, Vince Gill, Brenda Lee, Kathy Mattea,
Ketch Secor,
Ricky Skaggs, Marty Stuart, Asleep at the Wheel, Holly Williams and Dwight
Yoakam
Tickets on sale Friday, February 8 at
Ryman.com
PASADENA, CA; FEBRUARY 1, 2019 -- Following an eight-year exploration,
documentary
giant Ken Burns's 16-hour COUNTRY MUSIC premieres in the fall of 2019 on
PBS. In
honor of the profile on country music, Ryman Auditorium will present
"Country Music:
Live at the Ryman, a Concert Celebrating the Film by Ken Burns." Burns will
host
the evening, which will feature performances by Dierks Bentley, Rosanne
Cash, Rodney
Crowell, Rhiannon Giddens, Vince Gill, Brenda Lee, Kathy Mattea, Ketch Secor
of Old
Crow Medicine Show, Ricky Skaggs, Marty Stuart, Asleep at the Wheel, Holly
Williams
and Dwight Yoakam, on Wednesday, March 27, 2019. Tickets to "Country Music:
Live
at the Ryman, a Concert Celebrating the Film by Ken Burns" will go on sale
February
8 at 10:00 a.m. Central via ticketmaster.com,
Ryman.com
 or by phone at 800-745-3000.
"Country Music: Live at the Ryman" will be recorded for broadcast on PBS at
a later
date. In addition to live performances, the event will highlight select
clips from
the film, and be produced by Opry Entertainment and Florentine Films.
"In country music, we found a love for storytelling that translates everyday
experiences
into universal truths that we can all identify with," said Ken Burns. "We're
very
excited to share this film with the country, in towns large and small, from
one coast
to the other. But we are most excited to share it in those areas that gave
birth
to this most American of art forms. Bringing our film to Ryman Auditorium,
the Mother
Church of Country Music, and a character itself in our film, is a dream for
us."
"Ken Burns and his team shine a bright spotlight on the remarkable people,
places,
songs and stories that make country music so powerful and inspirational,"
shares
Sally Williams, Senior Vice President of Programming and Artist Relations
for Opry
Entertainment and General Manager of the Grand Ole Opry. "The Grand Ole Opry
and
Ryman Auditorium have been central to those stories for nearly a century, so
it's
only fitting to celebrate the film at the Mother Church. On March 27, we'll
welcome
Ken and some of the biggest stars in COUNTRY MUSIC for a once-in-a-lifetime
night
of stories and songs."
"PBS and our local stations are pulling out all the stops to make Ken Burns's
COUNTRY
MUSIC the big event for the fall season," said Perry Simon, Chief
Programming Executive
and General Manager, General Audience Programming, PBS. "We are thrilled to
kick
off this effort with a bus tour through Tennessee, and to partner with Opry
Entertainment
and Florentine Films, Ken's production company, to produce this wonderful
concert
and make it available to people throughout the country on PBS later this
year."
Known as the Mother Church of Country Music, Ryman Auditorium is holy ground
for
many of the genre's greats. A bucket list venue for many, her stage has seen
the
likes of Johnny Cash and Patsy Cline to Little Big Town and Garth Brooks.
The Ryman
is known around the globe as one of the greatest performance halls in the
world for
both its world-class acoustics and history-making contributions to the live
music
industry. Named
Pollstar
 Theatre of the Year nine times, the Ryman continues to receive accolades as
the
top venue across various organizations, including the Academy of Country
Music, the
Country Music Association and the International Entertainment Buyers
Association.
In 2018,
Rolling Stone magazine named the Ryman one of the "10 Best Live Music Venues
in America".
COUNTRY MUSIC was directed by Ken Burns and produced by Burns, Dayton Duncan
and
Julie Dunfey. Duncan, Burns and Dunfey spent eight years researching and
producing
the film, conducting interviews with more than 100 people, including 40
members of
the Country Music Hall of Fame (17 of those interviewed have since passed
on). Among
those storytellers are historian Bill Malone and a wide range of country
artists
such as Marty Stuart, Rosanne Cash, Vince Gill, Reba McEntire, Merle
Haggard, Dolly
Parton, Willie Nelson, Dwight Yoakam, Emmylou Harris, Kris Kristofferson,
and Naomi
and Wynonna Judd, as well as studio musicians, record producers and others.
The film
uses more than 3,200 photographs and over two hours of archival footage,
including
rare and never-before-seen photos and footage of Jimmie Rodgers, Johnny Cash
and
others.
About Ryman Auditorium
A National Historic Landmark, Ryman Auditorium was built as a tabernacle by
Captain
Thomas G. Ryman in 1892, served as the home of the Grand Ole Opry from
1943-74, and
was completely renovated in 1994. The Ryman is open for tours during the day
and
at night offers a wide variety of entertainment performances, just has it
has for
over 125 years. The venue was voted the 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015,
2016,
2017
Pollstar
 Theatre of the Year and recently took home its fifth-consecutive CMA Venue
of the
Year Award. Ryman Auditorium is owned by Ryman Hospitality Properties, Inc.
(NYSE:
RHP), a Nashville-based REIT that also owns and operates the Grand Ole Opry,
Ole
Red and 650 AM WSM. For more information, visit
ryman.com
.
About Opry Entertainment Group
Opry Entertainment Group is a division of Ryman Hospitality Properties, Inc.
(NYSE:
RHP) with an unmatched country music legacy. From the world-famous Grand Ole
Opry,
the historic Ryman Auditorium and legendary radio station 650 AM-WSM to
exciting
new ventures including Ole Red in partnership with Opry member Blake
Shelton, Opry
Entertainment Group's mission is to connect audiences and artists through
unforgettable
experiences, set to music. The company also partners with Nashville's
beloved Bluebird
Café and Wildhorse Saloon. Opry Entertainment Group continues to be one of
the leading
online voices in entertainment and connects fans with their favorite artists
through
unique content and experiential opportunities. For information on all of
Opry Entertainment
Group's venues, visit opryentertainmentgroup.com.
About COUNTRY MUSIC
COUNTRY MUSIC will chronicle the history of a uniquely American art form,
rising
from the experiences of remarkable people in distinctive regions of our
nation. From
southern Appalachia's songs of struggle, heartbreak and faith to the
rollicking western
swing of Texas, from California honky-tonks to Nashville's
Grand Ole Opry, we will follow the evolution of country music over the
course of
the twentieth century, as it eventually emerged to become America's music.
It will be directed and produced by Ken Burns; written and produced by
Dayton Duncan;
and produced by Julie Dunfey - Emmy-award winning creators of PBS's
most-acclaimed
and most-watched documentaries for more than a quarter century, including
The Civil War, Lewis & Clark:
The Journey of the Corps of Discovery
, The National Parks: America's Best Idea, The Dust Bowl, and many more.
COUNTRY MUSIC will be a sweeping, multi-episode series, exploring the
questions,
"What is
 country music?" "Where did it come from?" while focusing on the biographies
of the
fascinating characters who created it-from the Carter family, Jimmie Rodgers
and
Bob Wills, to Hank Williams, Johnny Cash, Loretta Lynn, Charley Pride,
Willie Nelson,
Dolly Parton, Merle Haggard, Emmylou Harris, Garth Brooks and many more-as
well as
the times in which they lived. And like the music itself, COUNTRY MUSIC will
tell
unforgettable stories-stories of the hardships and joys shared by everyday
people.
We will trace its origins in minstrel music, ballads, hymns and the blues,
and its
early years, when it was called hillbilly music and played across the
airwaves on
radio station barn dances. We will see how Hollywood B movies instituted the
fad
of singing cowboys like Gene Autry and Roy Rogers, and watch how the rise of
juke
joints after World War II changed the musical style by bringing electric
guitars
and pedal steel guitars to the forefront. We will follow the rise of
bluegrass music
with Bill Monroe, and we will note how one of country music's offspring -
rockabilly
- mutated into rock and roll in Memphis. And we'll see how Nashville slowly
became
not just the mecca of country music, but "Music City USA." All the while, we
will
note the constant tug of war between the desire to make country music as
mainstream
as possible and the periodic reflexes to bring it back to its roots.
For more information, visit
kenburns.com/films/country-music/
.
https://www.pbs.org/about/blogs/news/pbs-and-ryman-auditorium-announce-country-music-live-at-the-ryman-a-concert-celebrating-the-film-by-ken-burns-set-for-march-27/