[Electronics-Talk] An Orbit reader 20 Plus Question

Tracy Carcione carcione at access.net
Wed Jul 22 15:15:11 UTC 2020

Hi Darla.
I own the Orbit 20, and have only heard about the Orbit+.  My understanding
is they are the same, except the + adds things like a calendar and clock.
Personally, I don't care about those things, but others may.
I use my Orbit all the time to read books, take notes, scribble down
appointments, and all the other things I've used braille notetakers for for
years.  I also have it connected via Bluetooth to my iPhone.  It connects
very reliably, and I can use it to read things from the iPhone or to write
on the phone.  It's also supposed to connect to a computer via USB.  I tried
that a while ago, but wasn't successful.  I haven't really pursued it to
figure out what went wrong. It's on my someday when I have time list.
One of the things I like a lot about the Orbit is that it doesn't do any
translation.  What I put in is what I get on the display. I put braille
music into it, and it doesn't try to translate it to grade 2 braille, which
makes a mess.  I also frequently switch between braille codes when I'm
writing, and I don't want that translated, either.
My only complaint is that I've had to send it in for repair or cleaning
twice in the roughly 3 years I've had it, but I use it several times every
day, and the repair costs are not crazy, so it's OK.
Tracy