[Electronics-Talk] Rumba:

Valiant8086 valiant8086 at gmail.com
Mon Dec 20 00:07:43 UTC 2021

In in my opinion, LiDAR guided robo vacs are better for blind people
usually. If you can aford it, roborock S6 or something along that line
might make you very happy, our roborock S6 sure is excellent  for us.
LiDAR doesn’t need lighting present in your house, so if you are sleeping
or a blind person not bothering to have lights on you won’t be causing your
robovac not to able to tell where it is. I pretty highly recommend against
getting a basic dumb one, they take more work to run than just vacuuming on
your own. Just look for whole home mapping. Roborocks pretty much all have
that with the s series, and the s series from 360, but I don’t know any
blind people who use a 360 so we don’t know how usable they are for us.
roborocks have speech output, and the app isn’t too terribly useless. About
the only thing you can’t do is edit the map, dividing into rooms and being
able to set no go zones and such.

Instead, we just close doors. I was able to configure our schedule and
whatnot on my own. I really like our roborock. We call it rocky. It sends
alerts to the app when it gets stuck, needs something done such as sensor
cleaning, or just when starting / stoqands pcheduled clean. You can read
battery level, current clean time, progress on the current cleaning job,
like 585 sq ft cleaned so far. when something is wrong, it repeats the
spoken message a few times, making it easier to find it if you didn’t hear
it the first time. Overall, well thought out, and prices are reasonable.

Roomba uses VSLAM, which is a camera pointed at the ceiling to navigate. it
works, but poor lighting will mess it up, and it is not as immediately
accurate as LiDAR Neato made the first famous LiDar guided robovac, and
they still have some that don’t need wiFi at all, just go for one that is
not called bot vac connected, but look out for touch screens, they do have
one.  360 are   cheapest by far so if you want to take a chance in term of
accessibility, that is your option.

Amazon used to sell old used roomba 980's so you can try that if you want
top of the line roomba for pocket change, about 150 buck for a machine that
originally sold for about $900 give or take