[Electronics-Talk] free 411

Gerald Levy bwaylimited at verizon.net
Sat Jan 9 12:10:10 UTC 2021

Here's the problem with directory assistance services, whether it's
800-FREE-411 or the traditional 411.   In the good old days, when big
bad Ma Bell, aaka the American Telephone and Telegraph Company, actually
a collection of separate wholly-owned regional operating companies under
the so-called Bell unbrella, was the only provider of phone service,all
companies and individuals were listed in their database, so when you
dialed 411, an operator could look up the number for you, and there was
a better than 90% chance that she could find it.  For instance, before
1982, when Ma Bell was broken up into 7 separate, independent regional
Bell operating companies, New York Telephone was a wholly owned
subsidaiary of AT&T, so if you dialed 411 in New York City, you could
get the phone number for a company located in Los Angeles, because the
phone company there, Pacific Bell, was also a wholly owned subsidiary of
AT&T.  But today, thanks to deregulation, there is no single phone
company or service provider that maintains a centralized list of all
phone numbers for every company and individual in the US, so 411 and
free 411 services have become essentially useless.  So if your land-line
or cell phone carrier is Verizon, which became the successor to New York
Telephone through a series of mergers and consolidations since 1982, ,
for instance, and you dial 411 you will only have access to phone
numbers for companies and individuals who are registered with Verizon.
If their primary carrier is another phone company such as AT&T or
T-Mobile or Consumer Cellular, then you will be out of luck.  Welcome to
the new and chaotic wild, wild west of totally unregulated and
fragmented telephone service. What a mess!!!  When you dial 411 on your
Consumer Cellular cell phone, they will probably only have access to
phone numbers for companies and individuals registered with Consumer
Cellular, which is a relatively small number, because most listings are
still registered with Verizon, which is the largest phone service
provider and the only one which still has a historical connection to the
old Ma Bell/American Telephone & Telegraph company.  Don't confuse
Verizon with today's AT&T, which has no connection to the original
company of the same name and is actually the successor to MCI, which was
one of the 7 original RBOC's created in 1982. If all this sounds
confusing, you're right.  You need a Philadelphia lawyer to figure all
this out.

Gerald