[Electronics-Talk] Android Smartphones and screen readers

Peter pdonahue2 at satx.rr.com
Sat Jun 12 22:09:11 UTC 2021

Hello again everyone,

                Due to the lack of buttons on newer iPhone models and our
Apple ID being locked on occasion we're flerting with the idea of switching
to the Android Smartphone. We're curious to know if newer Smartphones such
as the Samsung Galaxy come with Google Assistant as the iPhone comes with
Voiceover as a part of the OS or does one need to install a third party
screen reader. I know several screen readers for Android devices were
developed over the years to give them voice and Braille output.

                We'll also want to know if newer Android Smartphones still
have buttons for controlling particular functions or if like Apple's iPhone
all functions are manipulated on the touch screen? Despite Mary's best
effort she still has difficulty using a device with a touch screen. If we
can find a new smartphone model with buttons that would be wonderful! Please
let us know what Android Smartphones you're using, the screen reader you use
and whether or not any functions can be controlled with buttons. Thanks
again for your feedback.

Peter Donahue