[Electronics-Talk] Stereo amplifier

Gerald Levy bwaylimited at verizon.net
Sun Mar 21 14:27:20 UTC 2021

Finding a two channel stereo amplifier or receiver with mechanical
controls is getting harder and harder.  However, Onkyo, Sony and Yamaha
still make two channel receivers and amplifiers.  Look for the least
expensive model from each company, usually around $150 or less, because
they are more likely to have tactile controls than more expensive, 5.1
or 7.1 multichannel home theater units.  You want to avoid any models
that must be connected to a TV or monitor so that they can be adjusted
using onscreen menus, which, of course, would be totally inaccessible.
For instance, on some high end models, You have to navigate through a
series of onscreen menus just to adjust the volume, bass and treble.
How ridiculous is that?  On cheaper models, which require no connection
to a monitor or TV, you can adjust these settings directly using the
remote control which usually has tactile buttons or sometimes from the
front panel of the unit itself.

Gerald