[Electronics-Talk] For what it’s worth, HD Radio

James Aldrich jajkaldrich at gmail.com
Fri Aug 19 02:52:04 UTC 2022

Hi Elizabeth,

You are welcome!

I started this thread to alert you about the two Sangean HD radios I purchased at the end of August!  These are the HDR14 and the HDR16!  I still say they are the best HD radios I own since they look more like standard portable radios and they are high performance radios for their size!  If anyone wishes to give HD radio another chance, these are good radios to order!  They can be found on Amazon or a good electronic store.  I put my Sangean talking clock radio back in its shipping carton since I feel the HDR16 performs much better!  The talking clock radio is quite good and one can learn where stations are on the dial with the talking feature.  The HDR16 brings in distant  AM stations  better than the talking clock radio.  They have similar shipping cartons and the wrapping cloth.  Both radios have the two round speaker grills and they both have good stereo!  The HDR16 uses 4 C batteries where  the talking clock radio uses six C batteries.  They both come with an AC adapter.  The little HDR14 also comes with an AC Adapter.  The HDR14 and HDR16 don’t talk!

I still have my insignia talking radio.  There hasn’t been much HD radio to listen to till our public radio station started to have multiple streams.  I got it when I first heard about it on this list.

I recommend a video on youtube by the antenna man called HD Radio, hidden stations in your community!  The antenna man normally talks television but he made the best HD radio video  I have heard on  youtube!  This came out a year ago!  It lasts eight minutes.  He says HD stands for hybrid digital.  At the time of his video, there were 3500 stations in the US broadcasting in HD.   Do a youtube search for HD radio and you may find that video.

Jim

Sent from my iPhone

On Aug 18, 2022, at 7:48 AM, Elizabeth Campbell <batescampbell at gmail.com> wrote:

Jim, thanks for this thorough explanation.I'm not sure if I will purchase an HD radio, but I appreciate the information.

Elizabeth Campbell