[Electronics-Talk] Air fryers

Aaron Spears valiant8086 at gmail.com
Tue Feb 1 01:57:41 UTC 2022

I use the one I have that belongs only to me for reheating things
mostly. It can turn a Mcdonalds takeout into something exceptional.
Ditto Long John Silvers. It can work magic on extra greasy, soggy foods.
It can make lousy store boughten saucage sound amazing with no extra
seasoning, just fry it until it is definitely fried.

So basically, I have a Walmart one, Mainstay brand I believe it is. It
has two knobs one on the top for the temp and one on the front for a
timer. You turn the timer clockwise and set the temp. It kicks on and
off once it reaches the set temp. I either use mine set all the way hot
or all the way cool. You usually get the best results with high because
you start being able to do things like get french fries to be nice and
chrispy on the outside while still actually taste a bit like a potato on
the inside and not end up actually drying it completely through.

Since I am almost always reheating already cooked or precooked things, I
don't need exact science. If I did need to be exact, I would turn that
timer over plenty far enough and use Alexa timers to tell me when to
take the basket out.

If you get one that has a removable basket like mine, you just pull the
basket out and you can kinda stand there or even wave it gently in the
air for really just a minute or so and then you might be able to safely
pull out what ever or at least touch it. You can shake the basket and
use the sound you get to determine whether you're getting there. If you
don't hear much then you need to go longer. Once you get a raspy sound
of things sliding around and you feel movement ftrough the handle as the
food goes everywhere when you jiggle the basket like that, you know
you've got some fry on. Honestly, the whole shaking the basket is what I
found to be the real secret. Well one of the secrets. The other big one
is the smell. You are welcome to laugh, but fry the french fries until
your nose just starts to tell you they're getting burnt then pull the
basket. You can remove the basket while the timer is still going and
most units will turn off. I just let my timer run out while I typically
eat right from my basket though sometimes I'll dump what's in it onto my
plate and put more in the basket if I had too much food to put in it.

For the most part, you won't do whole chickens or anything big like
that. Have little pieces chicken nuggets, slices of potatos etc but also
you need a little care not to get things too lightweight that the air
will blow them around, Bacon can be bad about that but it will get bacon
hot very fast. The cool thing is you can and should pull the basket and
check what the progress is by jiggling or touching the contents if you
think it is safe. I'm afraid of getting burned but I can safely touch
food that has only been out of mine for a few seconds if I just barely
get hold of it. I would be more likely to wait a bit if it's something a
little wet that might stick to my fingers and burn me.

You really should get one even if you end up only heating up frozen
french fries and chicken nuggets and such. Look for the one I mentioned
I have. They're cheap and a good way to get started. You can move on to
a bigger one later if you love it like I love mine. In the kitchen we
also have a Ninja multifunction thing that kinda works like an instant
pot but it also has an air fryer function. I've successfully used it
too, what I like about it is that it's really quiet. It doesn't have a
basket with a handle though, so I have to pull the food out and get it
onto a plate without getting scaulded somehow, and it's a big pot so I
have to reach down in there, more opportunity to sizzle my wrist or
something, ditto if the lid which you raise to access it and it is on a
hinge, would decide to fall over and the heater is right on the
underside of that lid, I'd hate to feel that on my skin if I just opened
the thing after it was running.

Air frying is really simple and really, really good if you like frying.
It can restore soggy food really nicely and it's good at cooking meats
especially if they're sliced down to something like a hamburger patty.
If you want your food moist, you're better off with sous vide or
something else. I've always liked my meat dry but still tender. I put
salt or pepper on and call it amazing, so air frying is where it's at
for me. Many would tell you that other than the fact that you don't use
oils, air frying is not as healthy nutrition wise as sous vide and other
options. I just know me likes it my precious.

Cheers:
Aaron Spears, AKA Valiant8086 General Partner at Valiant Galaxy Associates "we make (VERY GOOD AUDIOGAMES) for the blind comunity" http://valiantGalaxy.com