[Electronics-Talk] Modern Landline Phone Service

Aaron Spears valiant8086 at gmail.com
Mon Jun 20 03:09:17 UTC 2022

Just see if you can disconnect the phone box from power and connect the
modem to the nearest phone jack using a standard phone cable, nothing
unusual or fancy, just a plain phone cable.

Before you do that though, take a handset that is corded and only needs
a telephone jack to work. Plug it in and press a button on the keypad.
If it doesn't beep, then I don't think it has power and I believe it
safe to run a standard telephone cable from modem to nearest jack and
then expect all the other jacks to work once you plug a telephone into them.

Note I don't expect you to hear a dial tone, but if it still has power,
a phone that pulls the power from the landline service will beep or do
pulse dialing, indicating that it has power. If you have power, just
disconnect the phone box before you connect the modem to the nearest
phone jack. I can't see any logic in you paying $60 a month or more just
because of that one small detail. Don't cave in that easy. Or give me
that money instead, I have actual need of it.

Note also that a cordless phone cannot be used to test for power. The
answering machine base even can't, it gets power from the 120 outlet. It
must be a phone that only ever needs to be plugged into just the phone
line, with no extra power supply. You also probably can't use a rotary
phone to test. I'm pretty sure they make the clicking noise in the phone
even if unpowered.

Last case scenario, buy a good 4 handset cordless phone system probably
from Panasonic for the cost of maybe 3 AT&T phone bills, plug the base
directly into the modem, plug the chargers for the other handsets into
the 120v outlets where ever you want them to be and call it done.

Cheers:
Aaron Spears, AKA Valiant8086 General Partner at Valiant Galaxy Associates "we make (VERY GOOD AUDIOGAMES) for the blind comunity" http://valiantGalaxy.com