[Electronics-Talk] Modern land line services

Aaron Spears valiant8086 at gmail.com
Mon Jun 20 03:27:21 UTC 2022

Hi.

We've experienced multiple copper wire landline service outages. I do
believe it to be the most reliable, but I don't think that reliability
is worth the extra $40 or so that it would cost for that versus a voice
over internet protocol system. We have it here because if we cancel it
Frontier disables the second line making our bonded twisted pair dual
line ADSL2+ connection which is supposed to be 24mbit down and 2mbit up
but is actually 26mbit down and 1.7mbit up become 12mbit down and
0.8mbit up. They do this without telling you they will do it, and they
will not let you turn it back on even if you sign up for phone service
again. They did it to me and then promptly did the same thing to a
friend in Michigan whom I begged not to try it and he didn't listen.
Sucks to be him. I got it back because we wouldn't quit calling and
asking for it. Took about 3 months but we had the Attorney general
involved and a lady called and assured us she would have them come out
and fix it. They finally did. At which point our entire phone system was
completely destroyed by a horrible Electric Storm that took out
everyone's modems in the area and many electric boxes, killed my
computer that was plugged into the modem, etc etc. Since then I have
never got the full 2.2mbit uplink that it used to be it is now only
1.7mbit and that's after repeated calls for them to come out and look
into making it more reliable. With dsl it's the uplink that becomes a
pain in the butt not the downlink.

About losing power, that only means anything if you have a phone service
that uses batteries. Ours does but sometimes we lose the landline
completely when power goes out. No dial tones even on the cordless phone
and yes the cordless phone base has power. We have multiple generators.

Some cordless phones, especially a couple of options from Panasonic, can
draw power out of what ever handset is on the base to run the whole
system. It's nice because if the outage is extended, just swap the
handset for another one to keep the cordless phone system online albeit
with one less phone, and it only makes sense to do that if you have more
than one cordless handset with it. Otherwise, you need a generator or
some kind of uninterruptable power supply to keep the base powered. Once
you have that, it becomes just about as likely that you won't lose
voiceover internet protocol connectivity, because generator/UPS keeps
the modem running. This is what we do and we fairly regularly weather
power outages without even the slightest dip in our dsl internet
connection, which means our cell phones still work with WiFi calling, a
good thing as we don't actually have usable cell signal in the area.

That said we've had no dsl connectivity and neither has many other
frontier users in a several state wide area for the past week. I'm
connected using hotspot on my phone, but it's like pulling teeth to get
the phone to connect with a good enough signal to get the hotspot to
stay on. I discovered it sort of works leaning against the wall about a
foot up from the bottom of my bed. Moving it a couple of inches makes it
lose everything and it might take more than an hour to convince it to
work again.

To be able to use just the landline power you need a wall phone that
does not have a separate power supply than what it gets from the single
telephone cord itself.

Cheers:
Aaron Spears, AKA Valiant8086 General Partner at Valiant Galaxy Associates "we make (VERY GOOD AUDIOGAMES) for the blind comunity" http://valiantGalaxy.com