[Electronics-Talk] Modern Landline Phone Service

Amanda Lee amandainparadise777 at gmail.com
Mon Jun 20 12:18:33 UTC 2022

Hi,

I bought a Magic Jack device and I merely had to plug it into the router
with a phone connected.   It costs less than $5 per month and the quality
is really good, in fact better than the quality that I received from Comcast
before I cut the cord last month.

When I had Comcast, they merely plugged in a splitter with one end of a
phone cord plugged into the splitter and the other into the nearest phone
jack.  This way, you should be able to plug in wired phones.  I never did as
my wireless base accommodates up to six handsets.

There is a drawback though in that I believe that Magic Jack doesn't allow
one to call services like Zoom as part of their Nationwide and Canada free
long distance.  I have yet to totally confirm thisas I had this occur when I
attempted to dial a zoom number because sometimes, I just like to use a
landline phone to listen in on Zoom calls.  When I called the specified
phone number though, I was informed that it was a pay per minute call and so
I immediately hung up and just logged into the meeting on the web.

Magic Jack also doesn't want one using the service if they make more than 50
calls per day which I don't.  I believe this is to discourage robo callers.

Obviously for Zoom, one can just go to the website and I just plug in my
Bluetooth earpiece which works fine if I want to walk to another room in my
house.

HTH

Amanda