[Fabs] Testing Web Accessibility

Meliora Hatcher meliora12 at yahoo.com
Thu Apr 22 18:05:45 UTC 2021

Good afternoon FABS,

I am a JAWS user. Over the last month, I have contacted businesses about
accessibility issues with their websites on two different occasions. I want
to help with solving some of these issues that blind people face with
technology, but I often worry that I go about these communications in the
wrong way. I worry that maybe I'm missing something. Maybe the website is
accessible after all and I just don't know enough about JAWS. I also worry
that I give the wrong or inaccurate information. I inform these customer
service reps that the website is inaccessible to my screen reader and if
they ask, I describe the issue that I was experiencing. Last semester, I
informed my DRC about an accessibility issue with the school's degree audit
system and the issue was recently resolved. They recently connected me with
a student who is creating web content. The student was looking for someone
to test the accessibility of their website. I am meeting the student and
their professor on Zoom tomorrow morning to screen share and go over the
website. Again, I am concerned that I will give inaccurate feedback or do
something wrong. Would anyone have any advice for me?

Thank you!

-Meliora (Meli) Hatcher