[Faith-talk] Delight yourself in the lord

WESLEY BURDEN wesley.burden at verizon.net
Sat Dec 27 19:51:39 UTC 2008

DELIGHT YOURSELF IN THE LORD

"Delight yourself in the LORD and he will give you the desires of your
heart." Psalm 37:4

Too often we read Scripture without concentrating on what we are
reading and therefore miss completely what God has to say to us. We
read quickly without

delving into the depths of what has been written. We need to read
God's Word slowly, thoughtfully, incisively with a desire, not only
to understand what

is being said, but to seek to apply to our lives the truth or
principle before us. With this, we need to have eyes to see, ears to
hear and hearts open

to respond to all God wants to reveal to us. The Holy Spirit has been
given to us, not simply to dwell within our hearts, but to teach and
give us discernment

to understand His Word and make it a reality in our daily walk.

What do you think it means to "delight yourself in the Lord?" We
quickly read the following words "and he will give you the desires of
your heart" without

realizing this promise is to those who "delight themselves in the
Lord." So let us see what it means to delight ourselves in the Lord.

First, "delight" means to find great joy and pleasure in someone or
something. If we are to delight ourselves in the Lord we will have to
withdraw from

the base desires we have in the things of this world that hinder,
distract, and impede the focus of our hearts on Christ. Paul
admonished the believers

in Corinth to "Come out from among them and be separate...touch no
unclean thing, and I will receive you" (2 Corinthians 6:17). We
cannot delight in the

Lord when a divided heart contaminates our lives. God responds to a
clean heart and pure spirit that is bent to being filled to
overflowing with His Spirit.

The major thrust of our heart must be to fix our desires on HIM. We
must cultivate the habit of a holy intimacy with the Lord. This takes
discipline on

our part responding to the Holy Spirit as He seeks to draw us unto
the Lord. Ask the Holy Spirit to give you a hunger and thirst to know
the Lord in a

new and living way that will bring you into this personal intimate
relationship. It will be the joy of your heart and the love of your
life. When we are

receptive and responsive to the Holy Spirit, He will create in us a
peace that passes human understanding, a joy that is unspeakable and
full of glory

with a desire for the Lord that will enable HIM to give us the
desires of our heart.

When God is the desire of our hearts, our seeming disappointments
will be His appointments to prove anew His grace and mercy to us. He
becomes the sufficiency

for all our need "according to his riches in glory by Christ Jesus"
(Philippians 4:19). Fear, anxiety, and apprehension are lost as we
rest and abide in

His care and compassion.

God wants to encompass our life with His presence and power. His
virtues, attributes and works should be ever before us and spur us on
to an abandoned

faith in the One who is "the same yesterday, today and forever."
Looking steadfastly to Jesus will create a deeper admiration of who
He is and elicit our

allegiance, reverence, and respect. It is then we will know the joy
and peace from finding our delight in the Lord. The resources of His
grace are infinite.

To delight in the Lord is to find the desires of our heart the very
expression of His will, plan, and purpose in our life. His desires
for us become our

desires. He delights to give us what will be for our good, for His
glory, and to magnify His name. "Delight yourself in the Lord and he
shall give you

the desires of your heart."

Stu
<mailto:K5stu at sbcglobal.net>K5stu at sbcglobal.net
Reading your Bible today will help prepare you for A Brighter Tomorrow!