[Faith-talk] Another thought on homosexuality

Thomas j Vos optasiaministry at juno.com
Tue Nov 11 14:59:52 UTC 2008

The church of which I am a part has done some careful study on this
matter, and I think, has come up with some helpful advice.
The distinction is made between orientation and behavior.
The Bible clearly tells us homosexual behavior is wrong.  Behavior is
chosen and therefore Scripture can call us to pure and holy living.
However, one's orientation may not always be chosen.  For reasons we do
not know, some persons feel attraction to same sex persons.  While this
is part of the disorder that sin has brought into the world, we ought not
heap guilt on someone for having feelings such as this.
Where possible, we encourage and pray for such persons, that they may
change that orientation, but it is possible that someone may not be able
to completely free themselves of it.
Then, Scripture still calls them to purity and celibacy.
Our ministry to homosexual persons must be one of compassion, not
condemnation.
These persons need the help and support of the Christian community to
live faithfully before their Lord.
Blessings.
Tom