[Faith-talk] Live only once

mary wurtzel marywurtzel at comcast.net
Thu Jan 15 00:26:48 UTC 2009

Dear Wesley,
were either the same age as I am or younger than me.  Two of my
friends died very suddenly, one I had seen, but one I hadn't seen
in many years, and it hurt me to lose her withou seeing her in
more recent times.  One of my friends had come to see me, we both
knew it would be the last time, but we had had lots of
conversations on the phone.
I do know how important it is to live each day, and I still mess
up.  We are having one of the coldest, snowiest winters here in
Michigan that we have had in a long time.  I find myself wanting
to stay in out of the cold.  I am thankful for the phone.
I have tried to start a thread withou success on this list, but
here goes again: how are people keeping their eyes upon God
during this economically difficult time? Michigan has the highest
unemployment rate inthe country.  I really need to keep in mind
that God cares about the sparrow and ones the number of hairs on
my head.
May you all have a blessed 2009.
Mary Wurtzel

religion'"<faith-talk at nfbnet.org
>Date sent: Wed, 14 Jan 2009 11:41:45 -0500
>Subject: [Faith-talk] Live only once

>Live Only Once

>"It is appointed for men to die once, but after  this

>the judgment."

>Again I would like to quote one of my many favorite

>one-liners that is from William Penn, the

>18/19th-century French/American  religious leader who

>said, "I expect to pass through the world but once.

>Any good therefore that I can do, or any kindness I

>can show to any creature,  let me do it now.  Let me

>not defer it, for I shall not pass this way  again."

>Penn's words bring to mind one of my good friends who

>died at age 44 from  cancer.  I was with Graham shortly

>before he passed away and asked him how he  felt being

>only 44 and given only a matter of weeks or a few

>months at best to  live.  One of the unforgettable

>things he spoke about was how difficult it was  for

>him when some friends who visited him in the hospital

>rattled on with empty  words, or said "the right

>thing" but without feeling or heart.  He was  dying and

>to him their words were empty, meaningless clichés.  He

>wanted to talk  about life, death, and being ready to

>meet God face to face--and issues that  mattered.

>He also said how angry he was because there were so

>many things he didn't get  done and still wanted to

>do--but his time was up and he would never get them

>done.  This was one of his big regrets.  But his main

>regret was that he felt he  hadn't spent enough time

>with his kids and family.

>Graham's words remind me how temporal life is.  None of

>us has any guarantee of  tomorrow, so (not being

>fanatical about it) we do need to live every day with

>eternal values in mind.

>So, do you have any unfinished business? Any impaired

>relationships that you  can and need to resolve?

>Anyone you need to let know how much you love them?

>May I kindly suggest that you do it today! And, above

>all, do you need to get  right with God? This I urge

>upon you to do today--now.

>Suggested prayer: "Dear God, please help me to

>remember the words of the  poet who said, 'Only one

>life, 'twill soon be past, Only what's done for Christ

>  will last,' and live life to the fullest-but with

>eternal values uppermost in  my mind.  Thank you for

>hearing and answering my prayer.  Gratefully in Jesus'

>name, amen."

>Stu
><mailto:K5stu at sbcglobal.net>K5stu at sbcglobal.net
>Reading your Bible today will help prepare you for A Brighter
Tomorrow!