[Faith-talk] FW: [Perform-talk] 7 RFB&D centers to close

WESLEY BURDEN wesley.burden at verizon.net
Sun Jun 21 16:31:29 UTC 2009

-----Original Message-----
From: perform-talk-bounces at nfbnet.org
[mailto:perform-talk-bounces at nfbnet.org] On Behalf Of Donna Hill
Sent: Sunday, June 21, 2009 12:02 PM
To: nfbp-talk; Performing Arts Division list; NFBnet Writer's Division
Mailing List
Subject: [Perform-talk] 7 RFB&D centers to close

 From the Miami Herald
http://www.miamiherald.com/news/miami-dade/north-central/story/1104502.html
Recording for the Blind and Dyslexic's Miami office set to close The local
chapter of a national volunteer organization that provides reading materials
for the blind and dyslexic will close its doors at the end of this month.

George Grim, 94, is a Recording for the Blind & Dyslexic Volunteer. He has
donated over 10,000 hours during the last thirty years and a volunteer award
in his name was established in 2001. He is pictured here in the recording
booth. Volunteers Ken Ciceron, 69, and Tim Crowther, 63 monitor the audio
levels and read along with him outside the booth.

 CHARLOTTE SOUTHERN    /    FOR THE MIAMI HERALD

BY LEORA ARNOWITZ
LARNOWITZ at MIAMIHERALD.COM

About 11 years ago, Robin Forman was reading the paper and came across an ad
seeking volunteers for Recording for the Blind and Dyslexic, an organization
that records printed materials for students with disabilities.

Ever since, Forman, a 58-year-old retired librarian from Kendall, has spent
more than 2,000 days helping out at the organization's Miami production
studio.

''I do everything but the windows,'' she said. However this will change
on June 30 when the studio, 6704 SW 80th St., closes its doors.

The Miami studio is one of seven throughout the United States that will
close as part of a decision made by the organization's national headquarters
to cut costs, said Kathleen Fisler, the local studio production director.

Fisler said the Miami unit has been in service for 51 years and has recorded
hundreds of thousands of works. She said the unit has more than 140
volunteers, and on a normal day about 15 are in the studio.

Forman said Recording for the Blind and Dyslexic works like a library.
People who need the organization's services become members. They pay a
membership fee, and if a member needs a particular book, he can receive it
in MP3 or CD form. He can use the file for up to a year, and then send it
back.

''It's kind of like Netflix, I suppose,'' Forman said.

The studio primarily records textbooks to help students through school.
Books are available in all different subjects and at any grade level.

One former student who found the unit's services to be particularly helpful
is Darren Gregory of Perrine. Gregory has been using the services since
1988, and he said the recorded works helped him get through college and
graduate school at Florida International University, where he now works as a
career counselor.
Gregory has cerebral palsy, which he said affects his vision, speech and
coordination.

He said he feels the Recording for the Blind and Dyslexic helped him rely
less on others.

''I'm sure I'm speaking on behalf of the 54 million people with disabilities
when I say that we want to be as independent as possible,''
he said. ``I feel
that anything that can provide a level of independence for people with
disabilities should be expanded not retracted.''

But Forman said there is no hope for saving the Miami studio. She said some
of the volunteers have written letters to the national headquarters to try
to save the center, but the studio closing is a ``done deal.''

Fisler said some volunteers might continue to work with the organization
through outreach by going to schools and recruiting new members to use the
Recording for the Blind and Dyslexic services. She said the main change is
that the studio will close and therefore the volunteers won't be able to
record new materials.
There is a studio in Boca Raton, but she said she doesn't expect volunteers
to travel that far.

Forman is one volunteer who won't be traveling to Boca.

''I am going to go back to my roots and volunteer at the public library,''
she said. She expects the organization will lose a lot of specialized
volunteers when the Miami studio closes.

''We have people who read law books, medical books, and texts for math and
science. Those books require people who are specialized and fluent in that
area, and that's what we have,'' she said.

She said it will be hard to leave the other volunteers.

''When you're with an organization whether it's your workplace or volunteer
place they're your family away from your family,'' she said.
``It's all very
sad.''

Gregory said he thinks members also won't be inclined to use the services of
the other studio.

''For students, it will take longer to get a book from Boca, and they will
get frustrated,'' he said. ``Once people don't have it at their fingertips
they won't use it as much.''

Gregory added the services are needed in Miami, and he feels the studio
closing will negatively affect people with disabilities.

''I think wherever you have something that makes your life easier, even
something that may seem nonessential, it is a shame that it has to be taken
away,''
Gregory said. ``I know it's going to impact the quality of people's
lives.''

E-mail message checked by Spyware Doctor (6.0.1.441) Database version:
6.12650 http://www.pctools.com/en/spyware-doctor-antivirus/