[Faith-talk] Update on My Dad's Cancer Situation

qubit lauraeaves at yahoo.com
Sun Nov 22 00:51:22 UTC 2009

Hello Mary -- I'm so sorry to hear of your Dad's battle with this disease.
My father died of cancer -- but that was when I was only 8 years old.  He
chose to stay at home with his family as long as possible, and it was at
home that he passed.  But back to your Dad -- I know the docs say 6 months,
but no matter how far fetched a recovery would be, i still have that little
voice in me that says "the docs don't know everything".  (I can back that up
with examples.) I know a number of persons who have fought and won the
battle, even with the chemo and radiation and all.  one is my cousin. She
made a full recovery -- albeit her problem was Hodgekins disease.
So keep those prayers going and be sure to keep a positive atmosphere around
your dad as he progresses, one way or another. Even if he doesn't beat the
cancer in this life, he will certainly be grateful for family support when
he gets to the other side.
I am wondering -- have you ever looked into the cancer treatment centers of
america? -- I think that's what they are called. They are the ones with the
commercial spots featuring cancer survivors who went there with only a few
months to live, and came out cancer free.  They say they take a multi
dimensional approach, using medicine, mind-body therapy, spiritual support,
and whatever else they said.  I know from my own observations of friends and
relatives that there is something to treating the whole person -- the
physical medicine, but also the mind and spirit.  I had one friend who had
aggressive bone cancer when she was 15 and was given 2 months to live, had
chemo and radiation, but never lost her feeling that she just didn't think
she was going to die.  In the end, she didn't. She left the hospital cancer
free and grew up to have a normal life.  I observed this little drama unfold
from my hospital bed where I was stuck for 2 months due to back surgery.
She was about my age and like to come in the rooms and sing and play her
guitar. I won't print her name here but I could get in touch with her if
anyone wants to contact her.
Finally, I've never had cancer, but have had some nasty injuries and
surgeries, and have felt a healing power in myself beyond what the body
normally is expected to do. So I know prayer and faith and positive attitude
and hope helps. (Now if I could avoid those nasty injuries and surgeries in
the first place,...*screamy*)

Anyway, prayers are coming your way. I'll try to bring it up in our family
prayers.
--le