[Faith-talk] FW: [thefamilyoffaith] Overcoming the Pain of Loneliness

Eric Calhoun eric at pmpmail.com
Wed Dec 22 19:56:15 UTC 2010

Original Message:
From: "TONY_at_FloridaHealth" <FloridaHealth21 at verizon.net>
To: <tony1.familyoffaith at yahoo.com>
Subject: [thefamilyoffaith] Overcoming the Pain of Loneliness
Date:
Tue, 21 Dec 2010 07:57:31 -0500

              For most, this time of the year is the happiest. For
others, it is one of the loneliest. There are three needs of people who are
disappointed by loneliness: to love others, to be loved by others, and to
be understood. Many times life's circumstances cause the loneliness:
someone moves, life gets busy, or death or divorce separates us.

                        Hear my prayer, O Lord; let my cry for help come
to you. Do not hide your face from me when I am in distress. Turn your ear
to me; when I call, answer me quickly. For my days vanish like smoke; my
bones burn like glowing embers. My heart is blighted and withered like
grass; I forget to eat my food. Because of my loud groaning I am reduced to
skin and bones. I am like a desert owl, like an owl among the ruins. I lie
awake; I have become like a bird alone on a roof. --Psalm 102:1-7

            Jesus knew loneliness when He was on earth, and He
understands your loneliness today. He never married or knew the intimacy of
a mate. Jesus experienced loneliness in the desert of temptation as He went
head-to-head with the devil. And He was even rejected and abandoned by the
people in His life that were supposed to be tried and true.

            Ultimately, Christ experienced loneliness and abandonment on
the cross when He cried out to His Father, "Why have You forsaken Me?" The
good news is that when Jesus came, died on the cross for you, and rose
again on the third day, He promised you would never be lonely again. Jesus
said, "I no longer call you servants, because a servant does not know his
master's business. Instead, I have called you friends, for everything that
I learned from my Father I have made known to you" (John 15:15).

            A psalmist said, "Even though I walk through the valley of
the shadow of death, I will fear no evil, for you are with me; your rod and
your staff, they comfort me" (Psalm 23:4). In Him, you can fulfill the
three things everyone needs to avoid loneliness. Jesus loves you
unconditionally, desires to be loved by you, and understands what you're
going through!

            Prayer Challenge
            Ask the Lord that He would relieve your loneliness this
season, or the loneliness of someone you love.

You are subscribed to Daily Living Devotional emails from Senior Living
Ministries.