[Faith-talk] Fiction by writers who express their Faith intheirfiction

mary wurtzel marywurtzel at comcast.net
Tue Feb 2 19:05:16 UTC 2010

Hello,
I feel kind of embarrassed about my message not knowing your
cridentials!!!!
Mary

<faith-talk at nfbnet.org
>Date sent: Tue, 2 Feb 2010 07:23:04 -0800 (PST)
>Subject: Re: [Faith-talk] Fiction by writers who express their
Faith intheirfiction

>Out of the Silent Plant
>Perelandra
>That Hideous Strength
>Great sci-fi but with depth and a Christian underpinning.
> Fr.  John R.  Sheehan, SJ
>Chairman

>Xavier Society for the Blind
>154 East 23rd St
>New York, NY 10010
>(212) 473-7800
>Help us raise money for the Xavier Society for the Blind just by
searching the Internet or shopping online with GoodSearch -
www.goodsearch.com - powered by Yahoo! Free for you - and money
for us! Thank you.

>________________________________

perspective.  So
>> many of the well-known science-fiction authors are atheists or
at least
>> don't take religion seriously.  There is an extensive set of
books by
>> Bodie and Brock Thoene with Jewish protogonists, but the authors
are
>> Christian.  They are very pro-Jewish.  The books cover the
period leading
>> up to World War 2 and the founding of Israel.  there are also
some with
>> Biblical themes.  An almost forgotten author is Louis de Wohl.
He wrote
>> novels about various Christian and biblical figures.  He is a
Catholic
>> author.  I am proofreading his books for Bookshare.  The Thoene
books are
>> also on Bookshare.

>> Right now I don't have much energy for writing.  That will have
to be a
>> gift of the Lord.  I'm putting what energy I have into my free,
>> open-source braille transcription software, which I hope will
eventually
>> surpass the best of commercial software.  You can learn about it
at
>> http://www.abilitiessoft.com .  And if you want to see any
fiction by me,
>> please pray that I will be given the necessary energy.

>> Thanks,
>> John

>> On Mon, Feb 01, 2010 at 03:37:49PM -0600, qubit wrote:
>>> Hey John, good to hear of yet another of your interests.
>>> I have seen in some of the NLS talking book topics, novels about
jewish
>>> persons -- I don't think they are categorized as "jewish
fiction", but I
>>> know they are out there.  Have you ever read the novel "The
Chosen"? That
>>> was made into a movie which was truely an excellent flick.  I'd
like to
>>> read
>>> the book.  It's about 2 young jewish friends who wer sons of 2
rabbis with
>>> radically different views.  (I wondered as I watched the movie
if this was

>>> pure fiction or just memoirs of the author's own life as one of
the boys.)

>>> As for Islam, you can find a number of books by muslim women
living in the

>>> more repressed muslim countries -- but these are memoirs and not
fiction.
>>> For fiction, I read "The Kite Runner", which was a truely well
written
>>> novel
>>> about 2 young boys growing up in Afghanistan.  It was not
religious,
>>> though -- the protagonist was the son of a non-believing muslim
man, and
>>> the
>>> only religious persons in the book were either poor or else part
of the
>>> Taliban and therefore extremely violent and oppressive.

>>> That's all I can think of off the top of my head.
>>> Let me know if this is what you are looking for.
>>> Happy reading.
>>> --laura
in
>>> theirfiction

>>> I've seen a lot of Christian fiction.  Now I would like to see
some
>>> genuine Jewish fiction.  I'm afraid Isaac Bashevis Singer isn't
really a
>>> believer.  It would also be interesting to see some fiction by
genuine
>>> believers in Islam and Buddhism.  I'm making a sort of study of
religious
>>> fiction.

>>> Thanks and prayers,
>>> John