[Faith-talk] Blindness and Church

Linda Mentink mentink at frontiernet.net
Fri Feb 5 02:21:24 UTC 2010

Hi All,

I believe that we should worship where we can grow spiritually, and
where we agree with the teachings, not where the leadership will let
us serve. Conversations with the leaders is appropriate.  The
question should be, "Lord, where do you want me to worship and serve
You?" not, "what church or denomination will allow me to serve.  Get
involved in small ways when you decide you want to be a member, and
above all, pray.  Blind people serve in many capacities; yes, even as
Catholic priests. It might be appropriate to get in touch with one,
if you're interested in being a priest, and ask that person to be an
advocate for you.  But be sure you are in the Lord's will, not your
own.  Ask if you can do something on a trial basis, if it's something
they don't think a blind person can do.  And, be respectful!

Over the years, I have been involved in many church
ministries--prayer chain chairman, deaconess, AWANA leader, missions
committee member, music committee member and chairman, pianist,
worship planner, choir member, choir director, and soloist.  I didn't
barge in; I just offered.  But it never was, "To me be the glory,
great things I can do."  Of course, I have been denied opportunities,
but I accepted that as God's will, and was glad to be less busy.