[Faith-talk] Blindness and Church

mary wurtzel marywurtzel at comcast.net
Sat Feb 6 19:30:12 UTC 2010

Dear Linda,
I don't believe we should be rude.  Of course, we should be in
God's will.  The fact is, though, that the NFB exists to change
attitudes about blindness,  and this obviously includes in faith
communities.  Blindness, as always, is one of our
characteristics.  We also all have different gifts to offer.
I always felt guilty about not jumping into help our women's
group inthe kitch.  I tried to go in there and help.  Sometimes I
would be given a job.  I also tried to be in charge of our coffee
fellowship time.  Of course  I was fine with baking and bringing
things in to share.  I just wasn't good at seeting the table,
putting things on the plates to sqve, etc.  This was not because
of being blind, probably, it's just not my strength.  I am just
saying that we all have different strengths and weaknesses.  If
we are told we cannot participate because of being blind, then we
need to address it because it could hurt another blind person who
comes there inthe future, too.
I'm sure that many people have quietly and respectfuly changed
the attitudes of people in their churches.  I also believe that
there are some folks, bless them, who  just will "never get it."
Sorry to ramble on, but I don't post very often here on this
list.  Thank you.
Mary

Get
>involved in small ways when you decide you want to be a member,
and
>above all, pray.  Blind people serve in many capacities; yes,
even as
>Catholic priests.  It might be appropriate to get in touch with
one,
>if you're interested in being a priest, and ask that person to be
an
>advocate for you.  But be sure you are in the Lord's will, not
your
>own.  Ask if you can do something on a trial basis, if it's
something
>they don't think a blind person can do.  And, be respectful!

>Over the years, I have been involved in many church
>ministries--prayer chain chairman, deaconess, AWANA leader,
missions
>committee member, music committee member and chairman, pianist,
>worship planner, choir member, choir director, and soloist.  I
didn't
>barge in; I just offered.  But it never was, "To me be the glory,
>great things I can do."  Of course, I have been denied
opportunities,