[Faith-talk] Jewish and Buddhist fiction

Virginia Walden vlwalden at gmail.com
Thu Mar 18 03:08:17 UTC 2010

Greetings!

Ever since John inquired about fiction dealing with other faith traditions
such as Judaism and Buddhism, I've been scratching around and trying to come
up with something.  At first, I could only think of Elie Wiesel's novels.
 They are often highly theological and evidence a profound respect for
Jewish observance.  Some of my favorite Wiesel novels are: "The Town Behind
the Wall," "The Forgotten," "Twilight," and, "The Time of the Uprooted."

There are also Wiesel's profiles of early Hasidic Rebbes
(charismatic teachers, but not necessarily rabbis).  While these are not
exactly fiction, they have lots of traditional Hasidic stories--stories that
are still shared among Hasidic Jewish communities today.  Some of these
books include: "Souls on Fire," "Somewhere A Master," and "Four Hasidic
Masters and Their Struggle Against Melancholy."

Another Jewish author who writes from an observant perspective is Chaim
Potok.  I read one of his novels, "The Chosen," when I was taking a class
from Elie Wiesel in graduate school.  I enjoyed the novel. There is conflict
between Jewish tradition and modernity depicted in the novel.  I thought
Potok avoided simplistic conclusions about this conflict.  Potok was raised
in the Orthodox tradition and became a Rabbi.  Some of his other novels
include: "The Chosen," "My Name is Asher Lev," "Davita's Harp," and "The
Gift of Asher Lev."

I've also found two collections of Buddhist fiction.  I haven't read either,
but I'm looking forward to getting a hold of them.  The first is, "Nixon
Under the Bodhi Tree and Other Works of Buddhist Fiction," edited by Kate
Wheeler.  The second is titled, "You Are Not Here and Other Works of
Buddhist Fiction," edited by Keith Kachtick.

Finally, returning to the subject of Christian authors, has anyone mentioned
J.R.R. Tolkien yet?  He's an old standard, but one of my favorites!  Thanks
for letting me go on a bit!

Wishing all the best,
Ginnie