[Faith-talk] FW: [thefamilyoffaith] Dr. Charles Stanley - Your Daily Devotional for May 5, 2010

Eric Calhoun eric at pmpmail.com
Wed May 5 15:50:26 UTC 2010

Original Message:
From: "TONY_at_FloridaHealth" <FloridaHealth21 at verizon.net>
To: <thefamilyoffaith at yahoogroups.com>, <CcHhEeSsTtEeRr at yahoogroups.com>,
<INTERCESSORS-ALLNATIONS at yahoogroups.com>, "Donna Mae"
<btlg1370 at gmail.com>, <walkwithchrist at tampabay.rr.com>,
<rhansen at reachone.com>
Subject: [thefamilyoffaith] Dr. Charles Stanley -  Your Daily Devotional
for May 5, 2010
Date:
Wed, 05 May 2010 07:01:03 -0400

In Touch Ministries

                 Daily Devotional

                  Fellowship with Jesus

                  Luke 10:38-42

                  Two sisters, Mary and Martha, were busy preparing for
Jesus' visit. Upon His arrival, the first sister turned her attention to
Him while the second was distracted by the preparations (v. 40). She became
agitated that Mary was no longer helping. We may be thinking Martha is
right-if there is still work to be done, her sister should not be sitting
down. Then we hear Jesus' perspective. Observing that Martha was worried
and upset about many things when only one thing was needed, He said Mary
had chosen what was better (v. 42).

                  There are some important lessons to be learned from
this story. First, to have fellowship with Jesus, we may have to leave some
things undone. Jesus knew how hard the women had been working and how much
Martha longed to finish the tasks. But their greatest need was to spend
time with Him. Their focus was to be on listening, learning, and
interacting with Him.

                  The second lesson is that our choice to forgo an
activity may be misunderstood. Martha certainly didn't comprehend her
sister's decision. What's more, if we fail to take time with Him, there may
be unpleasant consequences. Martha's distraction led to worry and
agitation. Jesus invited her to choose the better way-namely, to be with
Him.

                  Establishing a habit of communing with the Lord is
essential to our spiritual health. Connecting with Him regularly will
sharpen our focus on what is most important and help us separate what is
good from God's best. Even in our daily work, we can learn how to maintain
an awareness of Him.

---

                   Devotional Archives | In Touch Ministries