[Faith-talk] Research on how churches help or hinder visually-impaired people in congregational worship

Linda Mentink mentink at frontiernet.net
Mon May 10 02:56:37 UTC 2010

Hi all,

I got this from another list, and thought I'd pass it on here. This
is the reason we started the National Association of the Blind in
Communities of Faith.

Read on.

Blessings,

Linda

From: Elizabeth Drury (She spoke at the NFB of Virginia Greater
Springfield Chapter meeting in April). If you are able to
participate, please contact Elizabeth directly.

I am working on an article to submit to a magazine about how churches
help or hinder visually-impaired people in congregational worship.
Although I am an assertive and engaged church volunteer, I have
sometimes felt isolated when churches project all text onto overhead
screens with no effort to provide assistance to people who cannot see
(I have low vision). Some churches know that increasing numbers of
elderly members, for example, are unable to see, but they choose not
to provide printed materials, to increase the font size, or to make
any other accommodation. Other churches appro ach needs and solutions
with cheerful ease. My guess is that most churches have not really
thought about the problem.

I have lately come to believe that writing to a magazine(s) for a
church-attending audience may be helpful. I spoke last summer to a
Christian ophthalmologist in Chicago, and he was astonished that he
himself had not even considered the needs of people with low vision
in his own church. He encouraged me to pursue this topic in a more formal way.

Perhaps there are people within this network who would be interested
in writing to me about their experiences. Joy told me that her church
used to email the texts to her in advance of Sunday services. This is
the type of helpful information I'd love to hear, along with
sentiments, frustrations, opinions, solutions, etc. If people would
rather phone, that would be fine, too, but email helps me to stay
organized amid the hustle and bustle of a house full of kids. I have
a hard time finding quiet moments to call, but I'm happy to do
whatever makes it easiest for people to participate.

Please do communicate that this interest should not make anyone feel
obligated to participate in any way. People with stories and
experiences to tell will likely feel eager to share, and others
should not feel pressured. Hopefully, the outcome will help pastors
and church leaders to understand the problem and to feel motivated to
make the slight changes necessary.

My contact information: email
<mailto:thedrurys%40verizon.net>thedrurys at verizon.net or call me at
(626) 676-0352.