[Faith-talk] I'm a newby

bookwormahb at earthlink.net bookwormahb at earthlink.net
Mon May 10 19:35:22 UTC 2010

Hi all,

I'm rejoining this list after a few years off; sometimes its hard to keep up with lists.  My name is Ashley Bramlett and I've been visually impaired all my life.  I have been involved off and on with nfb since I was a teen.  I am a young adult in transition.

I finished my BA degree last year at Marymount.  Now I am searching for employment and volunteer work.  Due to having little work experience and the economic situation I don't intend to find a job soon.  So I think volunteering will be a good way to give to the community and get some professional skills under my belt.

I am a Christian but kind of in between churches.  The medium sized church I was raised in gets kind of dull to me at least.  Yet the more contempoary churches are very big and impersonal.  I'm going to that kind right now, a non denominational evangelical church.
I am also interested in reading, music, surfing the web, bowling and fitness.

I'm eager to discuss how blindness have impacted your participation in religious activities.  If you go up to take comunion, where do you put your cane?  Are your hymn books in braille?  Do you know when the offering plate gets to you?  I'm with a family member who sees and they tell  me and/or I use my remaining vision.  But I don't know how a totally blind person would do it.
Growing up, some matterial was ordered for me in braille during Sunday school as well as the hymn books.  Surprisingly at this big church no matterials are brailled despite their access ministry outreach, a ministry to serve disabled people.  I'm going to inquire if they can put some things in braille.

Take care.

Ashley