[Faith-talk] FW: [thefamilyoffaith] Senior Living Ministries - Look for His Goodness

Eric Calhoun eric at pmpmail.com
Mon Apr 18 18:35:32 UTC 2011

Original Message:
From: "TONY_at_FloridaHealth" <FloridaHealth21 at verizon.net>
To: <thefamilyoffaith at yahoogroups.com>
Subject: [thefamilyoffaith] Senior Living Ministries - Look for His
Goodness
Date:
Mon, 18 Apr 2011 10:13:22 -0400

              Most people recognize the names of Sherlock Holmes, the
fictional detective, and his famous sidekick, Dr. Watson. Holmes, created
by author Sir Arthur Conan Coyle, was the most famous literary character of
the 19th and 20th centuries and made his first published appearance in
1887.

                        Give thanks to the LORD, for he is good; his love
endures forever.
                        --1 Chronicles 16:34

            Holmes was known for his keen prowess and intense observation
skills. At one point in The Adventure of the Naval Treaty, Holmes is
studying a rose. Watson narrates as follows:

            "He walked past the couch to an open window and held up the
drooping stalk of a moss rose, looking down at the dainty blend of crimson
and green. It was a new phase of his character to me, for I had never
before seen him show an interest in natural objects.

            "There is nothing in which deduction is so necessary as in
religion. ...Our highest assurance of the goodness of Providence seems to
me to rest in the flowers. All other things, our powers, our desires, our
food, are really necessary for our existence in the first instance.

            "But this rose is an extra. Its smell and its color are an
embellishment of life, not a condition of it. It is only goodness which
gives extras, and so I say again that we have much to hope for from the
flowers."

            What other "extras" should you be observing and thanking God
for this year? How has God been good to you in the last few days or weeks?
And what have you done to thank Him for His goodness and faithfulness
demonstrated in your life?

            Prayer Challenge
            Today, take some time to thank Him for the "extra" blessings
in your life-- whether it be health, family, friendships, or something
else.

                  Click here to support the continuation of this
e-devotional ministry.

                  © 2010 Senior Living Ministries  |  Forward to a Friend