[Faith-talk] FW: [thefamilyoffaith] Does God Expect Us To Forgive Ourselves?

Eric Calhoun eric at pmpmail.com
Sat Aug 20 18:11:09 UTC 2011

Original Message:
From: "TONY - Family of Faith" <familyoffaith at tampabay.rr.com>
To: <APRAYERCLOSET at yahoogroups.com>, <thefamilyoffaith at yahoogroups.com>
Subject: [thefamilyoffaith] Does God Expect Us To Forgive Ourselves?
Date:
Sat, 20 Aug 2011 06:26:08 -0400

Does God Expect Us To Forgive Ourselves?

Never does the Bible talk about the idea of "forgiving yourself." We are
told to forgive others when they trespass against us and seek forgiveness.
When we ask for God's forgiveness based upon Christ having already paid for
our sins and our having trusted in Him as Savior and Lord, He forgives us.
It is as simple as that (1 John 1:9). However, even though we are released
from the bondage to sin (as spoken of in Romans chapters 6-8), we can still
choose to wallow in it and act as though we are not freed from it. Likewise
with guilty feelings, we can accept the fact that we are forgiven in
Christ, or we can believe the devil's lie that we are still guilty and
should therefore feel guilty.

The Bible says that when God forgives us, He "remembers our sins no more"
(Jeremiah 31:34). This does not mean that the all-knowing God forgets
because He forgives us. Rather, He chooses not to bring up our sin to
Himself or others. When our former sins come to mind, we can choose to
dwell upon them (with the resulting guilty feelings), or we can choose to
fill our minds with thoughts of the awesome God who forgave us and thank
and praise Him for it (Philippians 4:8). Remembering our sins is only
beneficial when it reminds us of the extent of God's forgiveness and makes
it easier for us to forgive others (Matthew 18:21-35).

Sadly, there are people who don't forgive themselves because they really
don't want to forget their former sins, choosing rather to continue getting
a vicarious thrill out of reliving them in their minds. This, too, is sin
and must be confessed and forsaken. A man who lusts in his heart after a
woman is guilty of the sin of adultery (Matthew 5:28). In the same way,
each time we mentally relive our sin, we commit the same sin over again. If
this is happening in a Christian's life, the pattern of sin/guilt/sin/guilt
can be destructive and never-ending.

Remembering that our sins are forgiven should make it easier to forgive
others their sin (Matthew 7:1-5; 1 Timothy 1:15). Forgiveness should remind
us of the great Savior who forgave us, undeserving though we will always
be, and draw us closer in loving obedience to Him (Romans 5:10; Psalm
103:2-3,10-14). God will allow our sin to come to mind (Satan may intend it
for an evil purpose, but God allows it for a good purpose), but He wants us
to accept His forgiveness and rejoice in His grace. So, the next time your
former sins come to mind, "change the channel" by choosing to dwell upon
His mercies (it might help to make a list of verses that encourage you to
praise) and think about how we should loathe sin.

To be added to or removed from this ministry, click on my e-mail address:
brothermiller1 at yahoo.com and let me know.

Jerry