[Faith-talk] FW: [thefamilyoffaith] Are We Supposed To Obey Our Pastors?

Eric Calhoun eric at pmpmail.com
Tue Aug 23 03:27:33 UTC 2011

Original Message:
From: "TONY - Family of Faith" <familyoffaith at tampabay.rr.com>
To: <thefamilyoffaith at yahoogroups.com>
Subject: [thefamilyoffaith] Are We Supposed To Obey Our Pastors?
Date:
Mon, 22 Aug 2011 22:16:30 -0400

Are We Supposed To Obey Our Pastors?

Note: Let It Be Understood That A Bishop and An Elder Are Also Titles
Used For "Pastor."

The qualifications of the pastor / elder are found in 1 Timothy 3:1-7:
This is a trustworthy saying: "If someone aspires to be an elder, he
desires an honorable position." 2) So an elder must be a man whose life is
above reproach. He must be faithful to his wife. He must exercise
self-control, live wisely, and have a good reputation. He must enjoy having
guests in his home, and he must be able to teach 3) He must not be a heavy
drinker or be violent. He must be gentle, not quarrelsome, and not love
money. 4) He must manage his own family well, having children who respect
and obey him. 5) For if a man cannot manage his own household, how can he
take care of God's church? 6) An elder must not be a new believer, because
he might become proud, and the devil would cause him to fall. 7) Also,
people outside the church must speak well of him so that he will not be
disgraced and fall into the devil's trap.
The Bible gives warning about "false shepherds" who do not have the
welfare of the flock at heart but are more interested in maintaining
control or exercising lordship over others, or who fail to study the Word
of God and end up teaching men's commands instead of God's. The Pharisees
were guilty of this during Jesus' time. There are numerous examples of this
in the prophetic books of the Old Testament. And there are repeated
warnings about this in Acts, the epistles, and Revelation.

1 Peter 5:1-4 points out that pastors are not dictators, but lead by
their example and by their teaching (1 Timothy 4:16) in humility of heart.
And like Paul, they are like nursing mothers who truly love their
"children" and are willing to give themselves for their flock and rule with
gentleness (1 Thessalonians 2:7-12; John 10:11). They are characterized by
sincere devotion to the Word and to prayer (Acts 6:4) so that they can
minister through  God's power and wisdom and impart to the flock spiritual
meat to make them healthy and vibrant Christians (1 Timothy 5:17). If this
is a description of your pastor, or close to it (no man on earth is
perfect), he is worthy of double honor and obedience as he declares the
plain teachings of God.

The Absolute best example of a Pastor is Jesus Christ. He left His
position of glory and power to be born of a virgin, to be raised as a
human, to experience all that mankind did (without sinning) to grow up to
become a servant of all instead of seeking to exercise His almighty power
before humanity.

Jesus used the term "flock" to describe His children who could easily
stray from the flock and his shepherd and be devoured by some wild beast.

Pastors are instructed to tend to their flock (their congregation.) They
are to keep them together safely and go seeking for those who have strayed.

Pastors are to guide their flock (congregation) in: worshipping God,
learning His Word (the Bible), fellowshipping as brothers and sisters,
witnessing to the lost, living sacrificially for God's glory and the needs
of others.

Pastors are to be as Jesus, a minister to the sick and the needy. While
Jesus had 12 disciples and the New Testament calls for there to be deacons
to assist in meeting the needs of others and assisting the Shepherd, Jesus
was the ultimate Elder or Pastor of all times and He still personally
ministered to individuals and their needs.

So The Answer To The Question Is Both Yes and Know.

YES, we should obey our pastors who serve their flock as the Word of God
instructs them to. We are also to pray for them always, asking God to grant
them wisdom, humility, a love for the flock, and protection as they protect
those in their care.

NO, we should not obey our pastors who do not have the welfare of the
flock at heart first and instead are more interested in maintaining control
or exercising lordship over others, or who fail to study teach, preach and
live it by example. If they refuse to be humble, to put the congregation
above themselves, or they seek to be God's replacement of Jesus in their
congregation, they are false pastors and should be run off.

Because of the unfortunate existence of these self-seeking pastors, there
must also come a time when we disobey man in order to obey God (Acts
4:18-20).

To be added to or removed from this ministry, click on my e-mail address:
brothermiller1 at yahoo.com and let me know.

Jerry