[Faith-talk] mennonites was Church of Christ singing

Paul oilofgladness47 at gmail.com
Thu Dec 1 03:04:31 UTC 2011

>From what I know, Amish people still worship in each other's homes, at least
in Lancaster County, PA.  How they do it in other areas of the country such
as Ohio and Iowa I have no idea.  Also, another trait that sets Amish
worship apart from Mennonites is that sermons are delivered in what might be
loosely termed 17th century high German.  In a book entitled "Amish
Society," available from your NLS regional library but probably not on the
BARD site, sermons in Amish churches can last for three hours.  Too long for
me to digest, even if they were in English.  The German used by the Amish is
popularly known as Pennsylvania Dutch, the last part of which term is a
corruption of the name Deutsch.  It has nothing to do with Holland, but
rather from the German region known as Rhineland-Palatinate.  Paul