[Faith-talk] hair, modesty and Christian living

Rex Leslie Howard, Jr. rex at littlelaw.com
Thu Dec 1 15:44:58 UTC 2011

In Jewish culture, short hair on a woman was a mark of adultery (Numbers
5:11-31)
In Greek culture, those women who wore short hair were confessing themselves
to be prostitutes or lesbians. Therefore, if a woman cut her hair she became
identified with those groups of people. Hence, the admonishment that women
weren't supposed to cut their hair.

I don't think there is anything worse, in this world, than a legalistic
spirit. Legalism comes about when we get caught up in traditions without
understanding the reason for the tradition.

It matters very little now that women wear pants or cut their hair or wear
makeup. They are generally not making a statement endorsing habitual sin
when they wear pants, cut their hair or wear makeup.

It is not true that women did not cut their hair until the 20's. it is true,
however, that the majority of women did not cut their hair before the turn
of the 20th century. However, some professional women (and I'm not talking
about prostitutes) cut their hair because it interfered with their work or
the hair was hard to maintain and keep clean. Consider some nurses that
worked in the civil war time. Some of them cut their hair. They weren't
thought to be harlots or adulterers. They used common sense.