[Faith-talk] FW: [masterslist] What does it mean to judge?

Eric Calhoun eric at pmpmail.com
Sun Feb 20 22:04:43 UTC 2011

Original Message:
From: "Allan Thompson" <allan1.thompson at cox.net>
To: <masterslist at yahoogroups.com>
Subject: [masterslist] What does it mean to judge?
Date:
Sun, 20 Feb 2011 00:33:55 -0500

I keep stumbling over this particular word, because it has so many
variations, and I am not sure I understand what the Lord is focusing on.

The scripture in Matthew 7 has him saying that We should not judge, and
that if we do, we are judged on the same measure we have judged.
Then he speaks about one person having a  splinter in an eye "I assume a
small sin, flaw of character? a handicap? " and that someone with a bigger
flaw trying to help the person with the  lesser flaw.

Since the Sermon on the mount invovles being more  righteous then the
pharisees, I am thinking athat this was a dig at the  pharisees themselves,
whose failings are revealed as hipocracys.
So should we see this command about Judging thru the eyes of  comparing
what the pharisses do as revealed in scripture, or is this a measure of
condemnation, such as saying a person is unworthy of salvation, or a
certain person is a sinner because they steal or lie or whatever?
Does it have anything to do with being a jury or a judge in the legal
system, judging other people thru  the airbrushing of lawyers and law? Is
it racism or a judgement about a disabled person not being able to do
something or being loved by God? I had overheard my step mother tell my
father that God cursed me, is that a judgement?

I am really not sure what to think here. Is it judging other christians,
but not those outside the brotherhood/sisterhood of Christ?
If anyone has any thoughts on this please help me out here.
Recently been told not to judge a lesbian, by telling her that God
doesn't approve of homosexuality. Is that a judgement too?  I guess I just
don't have this word planted in my understanding really well. I thought I
knew but I  had to question myself now about what I really know or judge.

al

Jesus Christ of Nazareth 33A.D.