[Faith-talk] Farewell

Tom Vos vost at iowatelecom.net
Tue Jun 14 18:17:32 UTC 2011

On an email list called Faith Talk, I expect we will find representatives of
all kinds of faiths.
I suspect the members of this list are predominantly Christian, but someone
who is Mormon or Muslim could claim a rightful place here too, since we
generally use the word, "faith" that broadly.
And when we get people from divergent faiths together, there is bound to be
disagreement about beliefs and practices.
Isn't that part of the reason for such a list?  To learn what different
strands of Christian faith, and even other faiths stand for?
When we do that we are inevitably going to distinguish our beliefs from
others.
If Faith Talk is going to be open in its membership it should not require
that everyone agree, nor should disagreement mean rejection.
Since I stand within the Christian tradition I am most familiar with it, and
see a pattern that has repeated itself over and over again.  We disagree and
we separate.
I don't have a great solution for this, because some differences are
fundamental.
But Faith Talk is not a list that is exclusive.  It is a kind of ecumenical
gathering point where we will express points of view, distinguishing
beliefs, and in the process of listening, perhaps come to a better
discernment of why we believe what we believe.
I have learned from some of the discussions that go on here.  I have not
been persuaded to change my beliefs, but have a new understanding of where
others are coming from.
I will continue to listen.
Blessings,
Tom