[Faith-talk] FW: [safehavenofrest] Is There Any Such Thing As Unanswered Prayer Devotional...

Eric Calhoun eric at pmpmail.com
Wed Mar 23 00:07:17 UTC 2011

Original Message:
From: "tbonesgirl77" <tbonesgirl77 at yahoo.com>
To: safehavenofrest at yahoogroups.com
Subject: [safehavenofrest] Is There Any Such Thing As Unanswered Prayer
Devotional...
Date:
Wed, 23 Mar 2011 00:03:31 -0000

Is there such a thing as unanswered prayer? This devotional by Karen
Wolff
<http://christianity.about.com/od/womensresources/p/biokarenwolff.htm>
of  Christian-Books-for-Women.com suggests that every prayer is indeed
answered by God, just not always in the way we expect.
The Unanswered Prayer  It is truly a spiritually mature person who never
considers a prayer  unanswered.  How do they do that? There is so much
in life that just  seems to happen, regardless of how much we pray.
Our daughter, a 23 year old, special needs young woman, dreams of so
many things in her life.  She wants what we all want: happiness in life.
But the challenges she faces are larger than any you can imagine.

I remember when she was born.  At one pound, seven ounces, she  arrived
three months early.  The doctors said she wouldn't see, hear,  and
probably would have cerebral palsy
<http://adam.about.net/encyclopedia/infectiousdiseases/Cerebral-palsy.ht\
m> .   But after she was home for about a month we knew the doctors were
wrong.  Today she hears, (although I know she has selective hearing
based on the number of chores she's supposed to be doing), she sees out
of one eye, and doesn't have cerebral palsy.

But developmentally she is delayed and life is hard for her.
Unanswered Prayers?
I've prayed for our daughter more than any other person in my life.
I've prayed that she would be healed completely.  I've prayed that she
would receive wisdom and strength and the ability to discern in life
situations.  It seems like many of those prayers have gone unanswered.
But are they really unanswered or is God using our daughter's life to
stretch my faith?

Everyone has people in their life that God uses to make changes  in
them. I can honestly say our daughter is that person for me.  In  fact,
some days I feel like he's inventoried me, found every imaginable
defective part, and then sends in my daughter to help "bring them out of
me."  It's that "bringing out" part that causes the trouble.

I heard Joyce Meyer, one of my favorite teachers, say that we  always
pray for God to change our circumstances when God actually uses  our
circumstances to change us.  I must say that yes, I've been changed.
God has used our daughter's situation to develop patience
<http://christianity.about.com/od/prayersverses/qt/patiencebiblver.htm>
, (at least most days), trust, and faith that he's got a plan no matter
how things look.

Okay, so I've asked God if I can give him input about how the  plan
should turn out.  And yes, I've asked him to send a timetable just  so
we're all on the same page. I'm pretty sure I saw God rolling his  eyes
about that last one.

There is a song by Mercy Me called, "Bring the Rain."  When I  first
heard that song I couldn't even imagine how much spiritual  maturity it
would take for someone to sing:

Bring me joy, bring me peace
Bring the chance to be free.
Bring me anything that brings You glory.
And I know there'll be days
When this life brings me pain,
But if that's what it takes to praise You
Jesus, bring the rain.
I don't know many people who are at that place in their journey.  As I
see my faith stretched daily, I hope I can eventually come to the place
where I can say, "God, I want what you want.  If what I want isn't what
you want, then change my mind."
Karen Wolff, a guest writer for About.com, is host to a  Christian Web
site for women. As founder of  Christian-Books-for-Women.com, she wants
to provide Christian women with  a place to find practical information,
tips, and help with a variety of  issues they face every day. For more
information visit Karen's Bio Page
<http://christianity.about.com/od/womensresources/p/biokarenwolff.htm> .