[Faith-talk] "Rev. Enoch"

Melody Wartenbee mlwartenbee at gmail.com
Tue Mar 29 21:03:03 UTC 2011

"Rev. Enoch"

Stephen C. Weber | March 24, 2011 at 9:47 am | Tags: Christianity,
Devotional, Encouragement, Jesus Christ, Religion | Categories: Christanity,
Devotional, Encouragement, Faith, Jesus Christ, Religion, Uncategorized |

Thursday, March 24, 2011

"Rev. Enoch"

"Enoch, the seventh from Adam, prophesied about these men. 'See, the Lord is
coming with thousands upon thousands of His holy ones to judge everyone, and
to convict all the ungodly of all the ungodly acts they have done in the
ungodly way, and of all the harsh words ungodly sinners have spoken against
Him'" (Jude 1:14,15).

I just read an interesting online article that I will post to as a link
following today's message for those who may want to dig deeper into today's
topic. It really speaks to my heart regarding the condition of the
contemporary church.

Several years ago we went to a conference at Lancaster Bible College that
dealt with a perspective on current events in regard to end-time prophecy.
Among the topics presented was the moral decline, sexual perversions and
promiscuity that are so evident in our time.  One of the speakers shared
that he has gone to large churches here in the U.S. where he was told
outright that he is not to speak out on these issues since some may find the
message offensive, intolerant or unloving. Thankfully in the Bible College
setting I was in he spoke the truth!

When Brooksyne and I first got married we got a little mixed Chow puppy
which we had for about ten years.  Being dedicated Bible College students we
took the name of a Bible character and named him Enoch. He was a colorful
part of the early years of our marriage and to this day I am sure many who
knew us then will remember him!  In fact I even wrote a story about him
titled "My Dog Enoch"!

The Biblical Enoch is best known for his remarkable departure from this
world. The Bible simply states, "Enoch walked with God, and he was not, for
God took him" (Genesis 5:24). We also know from Hebrews 11:5-6 that he was a
man of faith and "he was commended as one who pleased God."

But our daily verse provides an additional, lesser considered, glimpse into
his life and ministry. Although Enoch lived in the rampantly evil, pre-flood
period of human history, he didn't keep his faith to himself. He prophesied,
speaking out regarding his belief in God and his convictions. In fact he is
the very first recorded Bible character to prophesy for God.

The specific prophecy that Enoch spoke forth is just as meaningful to our
generation as it was when he first gave it some 5,300 years ago; "See, the
Lord is coming with thousands upon thousands of His holy ones to judge
everyone, and to convict all the ungodly of all the ungodly acts they have
done in the ungodly way, and of all the harsh words ungodly sinners have
spoken against Him" (Jude 1:14b,15).

Now the notion of judgment is a message that many find offensive.  Proclaim
that today and you will be labeled a crackpot by the world and sadly many in
the visible church would critique your message to be "unloving".

The Bible says that Jesus didn't come into the world to condemn the world,
but that the world through Him might be saved (John 3:17).  He appeared in
flesh and walked upon the earth 33 years, taught the ways of godliness,
lived a sinless life and died upon the cross that we might be saved from our
sins.

The Bible also says that the Lord is coming in judgment. Men and women, like
Enoch, are still called by God to walk with Him and faithfully speak forth
His word.  Enoch's great-grandson Noah sure did.  In 2 Peter 2:5 he is
called a "preacher of righteousness."  And many, many more have done so
throughout both the Biblical and Church ages.  In our own day millions, like
Enoch, are walking with God and speaking out boldly for Him.  Are you?

Be encouraged today,

Stephen & Brooksyne Weber

Daily prayer: Father, I must confess that holy boldness does not come easily
for me.  Though I may hold an unwavering conviction based upon the teachings
of Scripture, I find it difficult to articulate my position when faced with
opposing views or by those with a lifestyle contrary to that of the
Christian believer. It is in this setting that I rely upon Your Holy Spirit
to equip me with the words I am to speak and the tone of which I speak them.
You've instructed the believer to always be prepared to give an answer to
everyone who asks us to give the reason for the hope that we have.  And then
You further instruct us about the spirit that accompanies our response. We
are to do this prayerfully with gentleness, respect, and a clear conscience
so that those who would respond unfavorably toward us would regret their
behavior.  Keep our motives pure as we unashamedly and boldly declare Your
truths to a lost and dying generation.  Amen.

(Portion of prayer based on I Peter 3:15&16.)

There are two individuals mentioned in Scripture (Enoch and Elijah) that did
not die in the usual sense but were transferred to heaven.  The Bible
teaches that the generation still alive at the time of the return of Christ
will pass directly to heaven (1 Thessalonians 4:13-18).

Failed Resuscitations This is the article I referred to in the opening
paragraph. It is a powerful analysis of the state of the current church, at
least here in America. I stongly encourage our readers, especially pastors
and teachers, to set aside time to read it. (It's about 4,000 words long)

I wrote a message last fall titled "A Good Minister" also using Enoch (our
dog) as an illustration.

Here's a "biographical" story about Enoch on our humor blog titled "My Dog
Enoch".

Today's story prompts some memories of our earliest years as a married
couple so we will share a few photos.

Enoch and Coon were two of our first pets as newlyweds.

When we first got married we lived in a tiny parsonage in the country about
five melies from Fair Grove, Missouri which was about 20 miles northeast of
Springfield. (Google map). We pastored a small country church that had been
closed for awhile. We heated the house with a "Warm Morning" wood stove, ate
lots of hot dogs and pork & beans as Brooksyne learned to cook and I worked
for local farmers. Fond memories! We met some wonderful country folk with an
earnest faith in Christ who had a formative part in our lives, especially an
old farmer and his wife named Tracy and Bulah Sutherland.

Humor note: There been a tv commercial running lately with dogs chasing
cats... in cars!!! That brings about a memory regarding our dog Enoch.  When
Enoch was about a year old we moved from Missouri to Pennsylvania to plant a
church in St. Marys. We moved in a big U-Haul truck and towed our blue
Datsun pickup behind us. Because we didn't fancy that long of a trip with
Enoch, who was by now a big dog, in the cab with us, we placed him in the
cab of the Datsun. Once when we stopped a trucker came and told us of the
funniest sight. It seems Enoch was riding in the cab with his paws up on the
steering wheel so he appeared to be driving!

Send a message to Stephen & Brooksyne

12/31/10)

WordPress.com | Thanks for flying with WordPress!

Manage Subscriptions | Unsubscribe | Publish text, photos, music, and videos
by email using our Post by Email feature.

http://subscribe.wordpress.com