[Faith-talk] FW: [thefamilyoffaith] Walking in Obedience - Senior Living Ministries

Eric Calhoun eric at pmpmail.com
Thu May 5 19:51:26 UTC 2011

Original Message:
From: "TONY_at_FloridaHealth" <FloridaHealth21 at verizon.net>
To: <thefamilyoffaith at yahoogroups.com>
Subject: [thefamilyoffaith] Walking in Obedience - Senior Living
Ministries
Date:
Thu, 05 May 2011 13:22:49 -0400

              The pastor of a small New York church had prayed about
increasing his church's outreach to the surrounding community. When he
talked to the other church leaders about the burden on his heart, one of
the staff members asked, "How big do you want to grow?"

                        "Do whatever he tells you."
                        -John 2:5

            The pastor thought for a second and said, "I'm not sure this
is about growing." There were puzzled looks around the table. The pastor
continued, "I know, I'm surprised, too. Growing is good, of course, but I
think the Lord just wants us to let our neighbors know we are here for them
and that we care for them."

            So after a time of prayer and some planning discussions, the
staff moved forward. They prepared a little brochure to share with people,
and all summer long they went door-to-door throughout their community
letting people know where the church was, and that the church was there for
their every need. And all summer, the pastor taught the congregation on
what it meant to love and care for a hurting world.

            As fall rolled around, the pastor began to pray about what
the Lord would have the church do next. Would it be more outreach? Perhaps
some community service?

            Then, one September morning-the fall morning of September 11,
2001, to be exact--the Lord's next step for the church became clear. People
began trickling into the church. By early afternoon the church was
completely full. People poured in from the community; they came seeking
comfort and ministry. And through God's Spirit and the ministry of the Body
of Christ, one person to another, needs were met and souls were saved.

            Prayer Challenge
            It is always more important to do what God tells you to do
than it is to understand God's plan. Pray and ask God to help you
understand and do what He has called you to do.

                  Click here to support the continuation of this
e-devotional ministry.

                  © 2010 Senior Living Ministries  |  Forward to a Friend

.