[Faith-talk] FW: [thefamilyoffaith] Charles Stanley's Devotional for May 20, 2011

Eric Calhoun eric at pmpmail.com
Sat May 21 15:47:10 UTC 2011

Original Message:
From: "TONY_at_FloridaHealth" <FloridaHealth21 at verizon.net>
To: <thefamilyoffaith at yahoogroups.com>
Subject: [thefamilyoffaith] Charles Stanley's Devotional for May 20, 2011
Date:
Sat, 21 May 2011 09:03:05 -0400

                  May 20, 2011
                  The Power of Love
                  1 CORINTHIANS 13:4-6

                  Today's verses teach that love does not "rejoice in
unrighteousness, but rejoices with the truth." This means believers aren't
to dwell on another man's wrongs and give up on him as a hopeless,
despicable criminal. Love enables us to hate the evil unjustly visited upon
the innocent while valuing the one who committed the act. More simply, we
hate the sin but love the sinner.

                  In spite of everything that seems apparent about
someone who's been driven to sinful actions, God has created him or her
with the potential to be made into something good. Outwardly, it may seem
as if substandard upbringing, poor treatment, or negative influences have
corrupted a person's morality and worldview beyond repair. For such
individuals, the capacity to love and rise above circumstances can get
buried so deep that it may seem nonexistent.

                  God still considers the most evil and corrupt person
worth saving. How do I know this is true? Because in the first verse we
teach our school children, He said that whoever believes in God's Son will
have eternal life (John 3:16). Many of us are guilty of thinking we deserve
His love because we look so good compared to unlovable kinds of people. God
doesn't work that way. He loves every single person, no matter how awful
his or her sin may be.

                  God doesn't want anyone to mistreat others; such sinful
action will bring repercussions or divine discipline. But the Lord does
extend His care, His mercy, and His salvation to anybody who wants it. He
keeps no record of wrongs. He loves without conditions. And He wants us to
love in the same way.