[Faith-talk] bookshare

Ryan Kwaak kwaakproductions at gmail.com
Wed Nov 2 17:49:56 UTC 2011

1. Bookshare offers a few good devotionals from authors such as
Charles Spurgeon and Dietrich Bonhoeffer. There are also Christian
fiction books from Frank Peretti and Randy Alcorn.
2. You search for books by entering the title, author, or ISBN into
the search input box. Press E to cut right to it in JAWS. When your
results come back, the site gives you the title and author of the book
followed by a brief synopsis and then offers you the options to
download in DAISY or BRF. The BRF option does not require a DAISY
player and does not use synthesized speech but lets you use a Braille
display with JAWS if you have it. That requires you have a Braille
translator to translate the Braille file into text. I recommend using
WINBT for this purpose. It's simple to use and well-documented. To
download it, go to http://EmpowermentZone.com/wbtsetup.exe.
3. As far as I know, the cost is $50 per year, but you can get a
five-year membership for free if you tell them you are a student.
4. The process of reading the book depends on whether you have
downloaded the DAISY or BRF versions of the book. If you get the Daisy
version, unzip the book (the downloads don't take that long). To play
the DAISY book on a computer, use FSReader from Freedom Scientific
which is included with JAWS versions 11 and later. To use the BRF, get
WinBT and use it to translate the BRF file to text and then use a
Braille display to read it in a text editor. For the Bictor Stream,
you just have to download the ZIP file for the Daisy book or the BRF
file for the Braille book and copy them into the stream with either
the Humanware Companion or standard Windows copy-and-pasting.
5. NLS books take more time to record because humans need to
phusically be there to record them . The books you get from Bookshare
are compiled using an OCR engine to scan the printed page and are thus
faster to produce and available quicker than with NLS books.

Hope this helps.