[Faith-talk] bookshare

Greg Aikens gpaikens at gmail.com
Wed Nov 2 18:00:59 UTC 2011

Hi Ashley,
Books from bookshare are all digital, which means synthesized speech unfortunately.  I answered your other questions below.

> Some questions.
> 1. What Christian resources have you seen? Books? Devotionals?
I have found a wide range of stuff on bookshare.  They have lots of books by C.S. Lewis, fiction and nonfiction.  I have also found classic devotional books like Celebration of Discipline by Richard Foster.
> 2. How do you search for books? I know you can do this without being a member. The site looked complex when I attempted to use it.
There is a search box on pretty much every page.  Just type in the author or title or even subject and click go.  There is an advanced search feature you can use, but I generally find what I'm looking for quickly with the regular search.  After you click go, the site pulls up a page of results.  I find it easiest to navigate by heading on this page because each book has its own heading.  From there you have the option of clicking on daisy or brf format.  This probably does not appear if you are not a member.
> 3. Is the cost $75? And do you have to prove you’re blind? I already get NLS and learning ally books.
I'm not sure about the cost.  Because I am a student it is free for me.  If you are taking classes, which I think you are, you are eligible for a free membership too.  If you are already set up with learning ally you can give them your ID number and they will confirm you are legally blind through learning ally.
> 4. How do you play/read the books? I guess they have to be unzipped once you download them. I have a vr stream so might use that if I can figure out how to transfer a book.
You can play them on the stream or there are several free daisy players for your computer.  The bookshare site has more info on these.
> 5. Books are written everyday and published. The thing with NLS and learning Ally is by the time they record a book it’s a year late or more. That is why often the editions of books are one behind your print classmates.
> So, does bookshare have recent books? I mean like in the past six months?
> I have looked for and found books that were published within the last 4 months or so.  Its hit or miss.  They don't have everything, but they do have a lot, especially popular stuff.

For the most part, finding, downloading, and opening a book takes less than 5 minutes.

HTH,
Greg