[Faith-talk] FW: [thefamilyoffaith] Senior Living Ministries - How to help others suffer with hope

Eric Calhoun eric at pmpmail.com
Fri Nov 4 15:24:40 UTC 2011

Original Message:
From: "thefamilyoffaith" <TheFamilyofFaith at tampabay.rr.com>
To: <thefamilyoffaith at yahoogroups.com>
Subject: [thefamilyoffaith] Senior Living Ministries -  How to help
others suffer with hope
Date:
Fri, 4 Nov 2011 08:42:54 -0400

              The Chicago Tribune published a story about 15-year-old
Douglas Maurer. He had suffered from a high fever and flu-like symptoms for
several days. So finally his mother took him to the hospital where Douglas
was diagnosed as having leukemia.

                        For just as the sufferings of Christ flow over
into our lives, so also through Christ our comfort overflows.
                        - 2 Corinthians 1:5

            The doctors explained the disease to him and said that for
the next three years he would have to undergo intense chemotherapy. They
told him of the side effects that would follow-baldness and a bloated
body-which sent him into a deep depression.

            To lift his spirits, Douglas' aunt called a local floral shop
to order and send him a flower arrangement. She told the clerk it was for
her teenage nephew who had leukemia.

            When the beautiful flowers arrived at the hospital, Douglas
read the card from his aunt. Then he saw a second card attached that said:
"Douglas-I took your order. I work at Brix florist. I had leukemia when I
was 7 years old. I'm 22 years old now. Good luck. My heart goes out to you.
Sincerely, Laura Bradley." For the first time, his face lit up.

            Douglas Maurer was in a hospital filled with sophisticated
medical equipment and technology. He was being treated by some of the best
doctors and nurses around. But it was a simple sales clerk in a flower shop
that took the time to care and helped give Douglas the hope to carry on.

            Is there someone in your life suffering from some sort of
affliction who needs comfort? If so, seek to show him or her love,
compassion, and encouragement through Christ Jesus. You could be the one
person who can make a difference in the life of another who is suffering
without hope.
            Prayer Challenge
            Pray that the Lord would help you to bring comfort and
encouragement to someone who needs it more than ever today.

                  Click here to support the continuation of this
e-devotional ministry.