[Faith-talk] FW: [URCTCPrayerGroup2] Discerning of spirits by Joyce Meyer

Eric Calhoun eric at pmpmail.com
Fri Nov 18 19:13:27 UTC 2011

Original Message:
From: "Donna" <godsgirl54 at att.net>
To: <URCTCPrayerGroup2 at yahoogroups.com>
Subject: [URCTCPrayerGroup2] Discerning of spirits by Joyce Meyer
Date:
Fri, 18 Nov 2011 14:02:26 -0500

Discerning of Spirits
by Joyce Meyer - posted November 18, 2011

To another the ability to discern and distinguish between [the utterances
of true] spirits [and false ones].
-1 Corinthians 12:10

I believe the discerning of spirits is an extremely valuable gift, and I
encourage you to desire and develop it. Some people say that the discerning
of spirits gives people supernatural insight into the spiritual realm when
God allows it.

Many also believe that discerning of spirits is a gift given so we can
know the true nature of a person or a situation. Our world is full of
deception and many people are not who they appear to be. The gift of
discerning of spirits helps us see behind the masks people often wear so we
can know what is really going on. The gift also helps us sense when
something is a good thing or a person has a good heart.

Dave and I have seen this gift work many times when hiring people to work
in our ministry. Many times, people have seemed qualified, capable,
dedicated, and "perfect" for the jobs for which they applied.

I remember one specific occasion when we met with someone and everyone
involved thought we should hire him, but I had a nagging feeling in my
heart that we should not. We hired him anyway and he did nothing but cause
trouble. I allowed my reasoning-thinking he would work out because his
résumé was exactly what we wanted-to overtake my discernment, and I wish I
had not.

The Spirit of God lives in our hearts and speaks to our hearts, not our
heads. His gifts are not intellectual or operative in our minds; they are
spiritual and they operate in our spirits. We must follow what we sense in
our spirits, not what we think in our minds should be right. This is why
God gives us discernment.

God's word for you today: Learn to discern and don't make decisions based
only on what you see and think.

You will keep him in perfect peace whose mind is stayed on You because he
trusts in You. Isaiah 26:3