[Faith-talk] FW: [thefamilyoffaith] Dr. Charles Stanley - The Importance of Being Grateful

Eric Calhoun eric at pmpmail.com
Tue Nov 22 16:10:29 UTC 2011

Original Message:
From: "thefamilyoffaith" <TheFamilyofFaith at tampabay.rr.com>
To: <thefamilyoffaith at yahoogroups.com>
Subject: [thefamilyoffaith] Dr. Charles Stanley - The Importance of Being
Grateful
Date:
Tue, 22 Nov 2011 09:48:59 -0500

The Importance of Being Grateful
(1 Thessalonians 5:16-18) - "Rejoice always,  pray continually, give
thanks in all circumstances; for this is God's will for you in Christ
Jesus."

----

We can all agree that some verses are easier to memorize than to
practice. And 1 Thessalonians 5:16-18 certainly qualifies as one of these
passages of Scripture. It says, "Rejoice always; pray without ceasing; in
everything give thanks; for this is God's will for you in Christ Jesus."
We gladly follow these commands when things are going well, but when the
life's circumstances take a negative turn, we suddenly begin to question
the truth of "in everything give thanks."
To understand the importance of being grateful in every circumstance, we
must know the answers to two questions: Why are we to give thanks in
everything? And how are we to do so? We say our thanks to God not
necessarily because we feel grateful, but because it is a command. And the
Lord gave the decree because He knew that expressing gratitude keeps us
continually aware of His presence. God allows painful situations into our
life for a reason, and our gratitude motivates us to look for that purpose.
In addition, a grateful attitude makes us aware of our dependence upon God
and consequently builds our trust in Him.
The Holy Spirit gives Christians the strength for impossible tasks. He
enables each of us to become the person the Lord wants us to be and to do
the work He wants done. Even if we do not have one single logical reason to
say thank you, the Spirit of God empowers us to express gratitude. When we
understand the why and the how, God provides the means for us to declare
thanks in everything. That is a victory worth the battle.