[Faith-talk] lining in today's churches

Ashley Bramlett bookwormahb at earthlink.net
Sun Nov 27 02:46:18 UTC 2011

Hi all,

I figured I should start a different subject to continue the “lining” topic.
Subject lines are important!
This is quite informative to  know that lining is still done, where a lead singer sings a line and the crowd sings it back.

Joshua said
Lining is done in Black churches, in the "Dr Watts," Songs.

So, Joshua, is Dr. Watts a singer in the black church?

Ryan said,
”Lining is still done in southern gospel music although to a limited
extent, mostly as tribute to early congregational singing. The Moore
Family out of Paintsville, Kentucky recently put out an album
featuring a lined version of Amazing Grace.”

What type of music is the Moore family doing? Probably southern gospel since that is what  you were talking about.
I assume lining was started in the 1600s when colonists came over here. Since back then most were illerate and churches could not provide every person with a hymnal, this was a way for everyone to participate.
Is southern gospel characterized by any particular rhythm or instruments? Perhaps, it is just music indicative to that region.

As I mentioned before, I grew up in the Methodist church which follows, or is supposed to follow, the teachings of John Wesley who founded the denomination. We sang out of a hymnal with the oregon or sang with an acoustic guitar. When we sang with the guitar, it was a more upbeat song such as Lord I  Lift your name on High or Stand Up for Jesus. We used a different songbook called the Faith We sing book, I think was its name, in addition to the Methodist hymnal.

So, the only knowledge I have of lining is what I read in history books, saw in movies, or heard in other classes.
Nor have I heard many southern gospel songs. My father grew up in the south, but he does not go around singing sorthern gospel or hymns.
That is good to know that a practice like lining is still practice and preserved, all beit in a limited way.

Ashley