[Faith-talk] R.C. Sproul's magazine and site

Paul oilofgladness47 at gmail.com
Wed Nov 30 00:17:08 UTC 2011

Esperanto, as one other person on this list can attest to, is an
international language created in 1887 by Dr. L.L. Zamenhof of Byalistok,
Poland.  The good eye doctor noticed that in his city there were basically
four language quarters: Russian, Polish, German and Yiddish.  There were
frequent quarrels between the four language groups.  In his day if one
entered, say, the Polish quarter of town, you had to speak Polish, and woe
be you if you could speak, say, German.  So, as a kind of bridge builder,
Dr. Zamenhof created the language called Esperanto, "the hoper." It gained
widespread popularity along all strata of European society up to about World
War II, but after that its popularity declined.

There is a fascinating book about the history of the Esperanto movement
among the blind written by the late Joseph Kreitz of Germany which I don't
have the time nor the space to go into.  Suffice it to say that the basic
philosophy about the language, especially if you are into correspondence or
communication with someone from another country who does not know your
native language, is that as you get to know that person and he/he gets to
know you, regardless of how the governments in the respective countries
feel, that both of you would be less and less inclined toward hatred of one
another, all because of Esperanto.  The Hadley School for the Blind taught
it for many years, but unfortunately that along with other foreign language
courses have been dropped from their curriculum, probably because of lack of
interest.  For those interested in a more detailed examination of the
subject such as grammar and its ease of learning, would be more than glad to
correspond with anyone off list at oilofgladness47 at gmail.com, as I don't
want to take up too much space on this list concerning a subject that
admittedly is off topic.  As we would say in closing in Esperanto: Via
samideano Kristana, Paulo