[Faith-talk] Who has inspired you?

Joshua Lester jlester8462 at students.pccua.edu
Sat Sep 3 10:03:18 UTC 2011

Hi, it's Joshua Lester.
I was thinking about starting a thread, about ministers, that inspired us.
I'd like to start this.
There are too many people to name, but I'll name my top ten.
#1. My pastor, Rev Mike Matos.
Second to Jesus Christ, my pastor has inspired me, because of great
sacrifices, he made.
He came to my hometown, from Breman, Kentucky, in a borrowed van.
He was able to get a Jeep Liberty, that he drove, for a while.
After his jeep broke down, the poor man had to go 8 weeks, without a car.
This was bad, because he had to pick people up, to take to church.
God blessed him, with a Catalack, but it too, broke down.
He now has a nice vehicle.
Oh yeah, did I mention, that the first 2 vehicles didn't have air conditioning?
Through all of that, he never complained.
He lived upstairs, in an old fire station, while we had church, downstairs.
God blessed him, with his own home, and we're now in a church building.
God has blessed us, because my pastor was willing to do what God told him to do.
He wasn't a hireling.
We need more men like him, that are willing to sacrifice, for the Gospel's sake.
#2. Raul, and Janice Alvear.
I've known these beloved missionaries, for a couple of months, but
I've known of them, for 3 years.
When Sister Alvear was 8 years old, Jesus appeared to her, in a vision.
He told her, that when she graduated high school, she was to go to Brazil.
She's been there, since she was 18.
That was 43 years ago.
She met Chilean born missionary, Raul Alvear, 2 years after she came to Brazil.
They've been pastoring many churches, and they have 10 children.
Nine of those children were adopted.
All of their children, are now in the ministry.
Their sacrifices are too numerous to list here.
#3. Jerry Fitzgerald.
Brother Fitzgerald, is another missionary.
He and I have been friends, since 2008.
He goes to Russia, Romania, Nigeria, and other countries, giving
Bibles to people, that otherwise couldn't get one.
He's been arrested 7 times, for preaching the Gospel, and he was on
the verge of martyrdom, twice.
God bless this man of God!
#4. Evangelist Don Gordon.
Don Gordon ministered at the Pentecostal Church of Jesus Christ, in
Stuttgart, Arkansas, when I was little.
I wasn't Pentecostal, at the time, but a miracle sparked my interest.
Brother Gordon was the only accompaniment, in the revival, with his guitar.
The church's pianist had broken her arm, so she couldn't play.
That all changed, as the service progressed.
Brother Gordon anointed her with oil, and God healed her.
She took her arm out of the sling, and went to the piano.
She led us in, "Isn't he wonderful?"
Brother Gordon's obedience to God, is what drew me into Pentecost.
#5. Franklin D Walden, sr.
Franklin D Walden was a prophet, to his generation.
God used his messages, broadcasted on KMTL, 760 AM, to educate me, in
the realm of the prophetic.
The Lord called him home, in August, of 2009, after 50 wonderful
years, in Apostolic ministry.
#6. E. J. Wisdom.
Brother Wisdom was a Quaker minister, that came to the Friends church,
that I grew up in.
I'll always cherish my memories of him, because God healed me of an
ear infection, under his ministry.
I was little, when this happened.
He anointed my ear, with oil, and I was healed.
#7. Sister Hellen Mushan.
She was a Bolivian missionary, for the Central Yearly Meeting of Friends.
I was drawn to her, because of her positive attitude.
She'd always greet you with "Praise the Lord!"
I miss her.
#8. Bob James.
Bob James pastored the First Christian Church, in DeWitt, Arkansas,
for many years.
I liked his attitude, as well.
He never complained.
You'd ask him, how he was doing, and this is how he got his nickname.
He'd always say, "superfantastic!"
We always called him, "Brother Superfantastic."
He lives in North Carolina, now.
#9. Ronnie Smart.
I've never met him, but he's a blind Apostolic preacher, in Beebe, Arkansas.
He has memorized the whole Bible, and preaches with an anointing, like no other.
He also sings really well.
I wish I was as dedicated, as he is, to memorize scriptures.
#10. Last, but not least, Billy Cole.
I never met him, but I heard him preach, on Youtube.
As an Apostolic missionary, in the UPC, his messages on fasting, and
prayer are what the church needed to hear.
He practiced what he preached.
He was a great man of prayer.
People have often said, that the greatest miracles happened, under
Bishop Billy Cole's ministry.
I long to live a lifestyle, that is after God's own heart.
I don't want to lose sight of the humility, holiness, and dedication
of these great men, and women of God.
So, who has inspired you?
Blessings, Joshua