[Faith-talk] it's a heart thing

Andrew Edgcumbe andrewjedg at gmail.com
Wed Sep 21 14:51:44 UTC 2011

It’s A Heart Thing

By Pastor Darius Wise
This week's topic: The Importance Of Giving

 Have you ever been in a relationship with someone where it was all
about that person? What about being in a relationship with someone who
is completely self-consumed? You know the ones where if they aren't
happy, then nobody’s happy! How about when you all would talk, they
talked more about themselves than anything else. It became physically
exhausting and draining to be around them, all the while knowing that
even though relationships should be reciprocal, you basically were an
after-thought. They "gave" you nothing.

On the other hand, many of us have been in the kind of relationships
that are the total opposite; the kind where the other person is all
about you. Their goal within the relationship is being "selfless" vs.
selfish. They want to be a blessing to you as much as they can. When
you're around them you feel special, appreciated and valued.

The difference between the first and second relationship is that the
first one is fueled by selfishness and the second is fueled by giving.
The first relationship is long gone while the second is still
standing. Why? It is simple. Relationships are about giving. Being in
a relationship means that I'm willing to "give" of myself. Whether
it's a listening ear, an open heart, time or resources, being in a
relationship is all about giving.

Here are a few scriptures that outline the blessing that God lays
aside for the giver (Prov 22:9; Luke 6:38 and Matt 6:21). He places
high value on giving! It is evident in the greatest act of giving
being depicted well in the gospel of John. Check out chapter 3 verse
16. It reads, "For GOD so loved the world that He gave His only
begotten Son. That whosoever believes in Him, shall not perish, but
have everlasting life." In this verse God is demonstrating what
selflessness is all about. He knew that giving His only Son (although
painful), would literally save the world. He didn't have to do it, but
because of the greater good, He did.

Giving is not easy, especially when it hurts. You know what I mean?
The kind of giving that gives at the expense of self always hurts, but
God did it because He loved us and that's the same reason why we
should – because we love Him. Whether it's being compelled to give to
a person, a cause, or a ministry, we should give because we love. "God
so loved... That He gave!"

 What we should never forget is that giving is how God determines
where your heart is. "For where your treasure is, there your heart
will be also" (Matthew 6:21). This means that giving is a heart thing.
God’s shown us where His heart is. My prayer for us all is that with
every opportunity given, we'd return the favor.

Scripture Of The Day:  "For where your treasure is, there your heart
will be also."  - Matthew 6:21 (NKJV)