[Faith-talk] FW: FW: [masterslist] The Remedy for Paralyzed Sinners & Fallen Saints

Eric Calhoun eric at pmpmail.com
Tue Apr 3 19:52:21 UTC 2012

Original Message:
From: "Eric Calhoun" <eric at pmpmail.com>
To: native_american_christians at yahoogroups.com,
christianchit-chat at yahoogroups.com
Subject: FW: [masterslist] The Remedy for Paralyzed Sinners & Fallen
Saints
Date:
Tue, 3 Apr 2012 12:02:50 -0400

The Remedy for Paralyzed Sinners & Fallen Saints

John Piper

God did his most deadly work to destroy hopelessness and futility and
provincial cowardice. He gave up his Son to torture and death. A perfect
life, a perfect
death, and the decisive work was done.

But there are millions who are numb to hope because of the God-belittling

things they have done and how ugly they have become. They don't lift
lofty
arguments
against God's Truth; they shrug and feel irretrievably outside. They
don't
defy God consciously; they default to cake and television. Except for the

periodic
rush of sex and sport and cinema, life yawns. There is no passion for
significance. For many, no passion at all.

There is a Christian version of this paralysis. The decision has been
made
to trust Christ. The shoot of hope and joy has sprung up. The long battle

against
sin has begun. But the defeats are many, and the plant begins to wither.
One
sees only clouds and gathering darkness. The problem is not perplexing
doctrine
or evolutionary assaults or threats of persecution. The problem is
falling
down too many times. Gradually the fatal feeling creeps in: the fight is
futile;
it isn't worth it.

Along with this hopelessness and futility, especially since 9/11,
provincial
cowardice captures many Christian minds. They fear that it may sound
conceited
to call every people group in the world to trust Christ or perish. It
seems
too global. Too sweeping. Too universal. To say it takes their breath
away.
And, worse, it brings down the wrath of the tolerant. What could be more
arrogant than to think that the infinite variety of need in all the
cultural
groups
of the world could be met by a single Savior!

It is astonishing that the biblical gospel of justification by faith
alone
answers these three human failures: the hopelessness of unbelievers, the
feeling
of futility from falling down, and the fear of making global claims for
Christ.

To the numb and listless sinner, feeling beyond all hope of godliness,
the
Bible says, "To the one who does not work but trusts him who justifies
the
ungodly,
his faith is counted as righteousness" (Romans 4:5). God justifies the
"ungodly." This truth is meant to break the back of hopelessness.

The connection between the sinner and the Savior is trust, not
improvement
of behavior. That comes later. It's this order that gives hope. "For we
hold
that one is justified by faith apart from works of the law" (Romans
3:28).
The basis of this wild and wonderful hope (the ungodly justified) is
"Christ
for righteousness to everyone who believes" (Romans 10:4, literal
translation). Through faith alone God counts the ungodly as righteous
because of Christ.
"For our sake [God] made [Christ] to be sin who knew no sin, so that in
him
we might become the righteousness of God" (2 Corinthians 5:21). Let all
who
are paralyzed by the weight of sin and the powerlessness to change turn
in
here.

To the fallen saint, who knows the darkness is self-inflicted and feels
the
futility of looking for hope from a frowning Judge, the Bible gives a
shocking
example of gutsy guilt. It pictures God's failed prophet beneath a
righteous
frown, bearing his chastisement with broken-hearted boldness. "Rejoice
not
over me, O my enemy; when I fall, I shall rise; when I sit in darkness,
the
Lord will be a light to me. I will bear the indignation of the Lord
because
I have sinned against him, until he pleads my cause and executes judgment

for me. He will bring me out to the light" (Micah 7:8-9). This is
courageous
contrition. Gutsy guilt. The saint has fallen. The darkness of God's
indignation is on him. He does not blow it off, but waits. And he throws
in
the face
of his accuser the confidence that his indignant Judge will plead his
cause
and execute justice for (not against) him. This is the application of
justification
to the fallen saint. Broken-hearted, gutsy guilt.

For the squeamish fellow afraid of making global claims for Christ, the
biblical teaching on justification explodes his little world. It says: the

deepest
problem to be solved is the same for every human being, because every
human
is a descendant of Adam. And the problem to be solved is that "by one
man's
disobedience many were made sinners." "One trespass led to condemnation
for
all men." The only solution to this universal condemnation is a "second
Adam"
who provides "the free gift of righteousness" to all who hear the gospel
and
believe (Romans 5:17-19). Therefore Christ, the second Adam, the giver of
righteousness, is the only global Savior.

Embrace as your treasure the gift of justification. There is no part of
your
life where it is not immeasurably precious.

By John Piper. © Desiring God. Website:
www.desiringGod.org.
Email:
mail at desiringGod.org.
Toll Free: 1.888.346.4700.

You may also like:

THIS WEEK
A Study in Stewardship
Discover God's design for life, the environment, finances, generosity,
and
eternity with weekly resources from the NIV Stewardship Study Bible

Click to read online >>

----

THIS WEEK
Devotionals Daily: A Year with Jesus
Showcasing the variety of ways in which God shows His love for us through

the gift of Jesus, these devotionals provide encouragement and
inspiration
for
new Christians or long-time believers

Click to read online >>

----

----

Free eBook Offer from CUFI!

----

Orphans need your help!

----

Free DVD- Magdalena: Through Her Eyes

----

Visit Israel - You'll Never Be The Same

----

Free Book about Christian Persecution

----
Featured Video
Ministry from
LightSource.com

Ed Young
Ed Young Television
See more ministry videos at LightSource.com

Today on Christianity.com

----

Send a FREE Ecard

More Ecards

Belated

Birthday Promise

Dream a New Dream

Answer to Prayer

table end

Read about Salem Web Network

Send us your Feedback

© 2011 Salem Web Network. All rights reserved.
111 Virginia Street, Suite 500
Richmond, VA 23219

Salem Web Network website properties include:
list of 11 items
. Crosswalk.com
. OnePlace.com
. LightSource.com
. CrossCards.com
. Christianity.com
. BibleStudyTools.com
. ChristianCollege.com
. GodTube.com
. GospelTube.com
. Jesus.org
. TheFish.com
list end

Dean Masters, owner of the Masters List

I personally know someone who is literally older than dirt.
If you would like to meet him ask me to introduce you.