[Faith-talk] FW: [Native_American_Christians] THE CRUCIFIXION OF THE MESSIAH

Eric Calhoun eric at pmpmail.com
Thu Apr 5 07:25:41 UTC 2012

Original Message:
From: drena brown <ponytail6900 at yahoo.com>
To: "undisclosedrecipient at yahoo.com" <undisclosedrecipient at yahoo.com>
Subject: [Native_American_Christians] THE CRUCIFIXION OF THE MESSIAH
Date:
Wed, 4 Apr 2012 14:48:45 -0700 (PDT)

 Crucifixion is an ancient method of deliberately painful execution in
which the condemned person is tied or nailed to a large wooden cross and
left to hang until dead.
Crucifixion was in use at a comparatively high rate among the Seleucids,
Carthaginians, and Romans from about the 6th century BC to the 4th century
AD. In the year 337, Emperor Constantine I abolished it in the Roman Empire
out of veneration for Jesus Christ, the most famous victim of
crucifixion.[1][2] It was also used as a form of execution in Japan for
criminals, inflicted also on some Christians.
Etymology
Ancient Greek has two verbs for crucify: ana-stauro (??asta????), from
stauros, "stake", and apo-tumpanizo (?p?t?µpa????) "crucify on a plank."
[4] together with anaskolopizo (??as????p??? "impale"). In earlier
pre-Roman Greek texts anastauro usually means "impale."[5][6][7] The word
xylon "piece of wood" was also used, but for a gallows, not a stake, as in
the Aristophanes comedy The Frogs; "if you stumble, at least you'll hang
from a respectable tree."[8]
The Latin term crux may mean a gallows[9][10] or a stake.[11]
The English term crucifix derives from the Latin crucifixus or cruci
fixus, past participle passive of crucifigere or cruci figere, meaning "to
crucify" or "to fix to a cross".[12]
Crucifixion was often performed to terrorize and dissuade its witnesses
from perpetrating particularly heinous crimes. Victims were left on display
after death as warnings to others who might attempt dissent. Crucifixion
was usually intended to provide a death that was particularly slow, painful
(hence the term excruciating, literally "out of crucifying"), gruesome,
humiliating, and public, using whatever means were most expedient for that
goal. Crucifixion methods varied considerably with location and time
period.
The Greek and Latin words corresponding to "crucifixion" applied to many
different forms of painful execution, from impaling on a stake to affixing
to a tree, to an upright pole (a crux simplex) or to a combination of an
upright (in Latin, stipes) and a crossbeam (in Latin, patibulum).[13]
In some cases, the condemned was forced to carry the crossbeam on his
shoulders to the place of execution. A whole cross would weigh well over
300 pounds (135 kg), but the crossbeam would not be quite as burdensome,
weighing around 75-125 pounds (35-60 kg).[citation needed] The Roman
historian Tacitus records that the city of Rome had a specific place for
carrying out executions, situated outside the Esquiline Gate,[14] and had a
specific area reserved for the execution of slaves by crucifixion.[15]
Upright posts would presumably be fixed permanently in that place, and the
crossbeam, with the condemned person perhaps already nailed to it, would
then be attached to the post.
The person executed may have been attached to the cross by rope, though
nails are mentioned in a passage by the Judean historian Josephus, where he
states that at the Siege of Jerusalem (70), "the soldiers out of rage and
hatred, nailed those they caught, one after one way, and another after
another, to the crosses, by way of jest."[16] Objects used in the
crucifixion of criminals, such as nails, were sought as amulets with
perceived medicinal qualities.[17]
While a crucifixion was an execution, it was also a humiliation, by
making the condemned as vulnerable as possible. Although artists have
depicted the figure on a cross with a loin cloth or a covering of the
genitals, writings by Seneca the Younger suggest that victims were
crucified completely nude.[18] When the victim had to urinate or defecate,
they had to do so in the open, in view of passers-by, resulting in
discomfort and the attraction of insects. Despite its frequent use by the
Romans, the horrors of crucifixion did not escape mention by some of their
eminent orators. Cicero for example, described crucifixion as "a most cruel
and disgusting punishment",[19] and suggested that "the very mention of the
cross should be far removed not only from a Roman citizen's body, but from
his mind, his eyes, his ears."[20]
Frequently, the legs of the person executed were broken or shattered with
an iron club, an act called crurifragium, which was also frequently applied
without crucifixion to slaves.[21] This act hastened the death of the
person but was also meant to deter those who observed the crucifixion from
committing offenses.[21]
Cross shape
Crux simplex, a simple wooden stake. Image by Justus Lipsius
The crucifixion of Jesus. Image by Justus Lipsius[22]
See also: Dispute about Jesus' execution method
The gibbet on which crucifixion was carried out could be of many shapes.
Josephus describes multiple tortures and positions of crucifixion during
the Siege of Jerusalem as Titus crucified the rebels;[23] and Seneca the
Younger recounts: "I see crosses there, not just of one kind but made in
many different ways: some have their victims with head down to the ground;
some impale their private parts; others stretch out their arms on the
gibbet."[18]
At times the gibbet was only one vertical stake, called in Latin crux
simplex.[24] This was the simplest available construction for torturing and
killing the condemned. Frequently, however, there was a cross-piece
attached either at the top to give the shape of a T (crux commissa) or just
below the top, as in the form most familiar in Christian symbolism (crux
immissa).[25] Other forms were in the shape of the letters X and Y.
The New Testament writings about the crucifixion of Jesus do not speak
specifically about the shape of that cross, but the early writings that do
speak of its shape, from about the year 100 on, describe it as shaped like
the letter T (the Greek letter tau)[26] or as composed of an upright and a
transverse beam, sometimes with a small ledge in the upright.[27]
Nail placement

Crucifixion window by Henry E. Sharp, 1872, in St. Matthew's German
Evangelical Lutheran Church, Charleston, South Carolina
In popular depictions of the crucifixion of Jesus (possibly because in
translations of John 20:25 the wounds are described as being "in his
hands"), Jesus is shown with nails in his hands. But in Greek the word
"?e??", usually translated as "hand", referred to arm and hand
together,[28] and to denote the hand as distinct from the arm some other
word was added, as "????? ??tase ?e??a" (he wounded the end of the ?e??,
i.e., he wounded her hand).[29]
A possibility that does not require tying is that the nails were inserted
just above the wrist, between the two bones of the forearm (the radius and
the ulna).[30]
An experiment that was the subject of a documentary on the National
Geographic Channel's Quest For Truth: The Crucifixion,[31] showed that a
person can be suspended by the palm of the hand. Nailing the feet to the
side of the cross relieves strain on the wrists by placing most of the
weight on the lower body.
Another possibility, suggested by Frederick Zugibe, is that the nails may
have been driven in at an angle, entering in the palm in the crease that
delineates the bulky region at the base of the thumb, and exiting in the
wrist, passing through the carpal tunnel.
A foot-rest (suppedaneum) attached to the cross, perhaps for the purpose
of taking the person's weight off the wrists, is sometimes included in
representations of the crucifixion of Jesus, but is not discussed in
ancient sources. Some scholars interpret the Alexamenos graffito, the
earliest surviving depiction of the Crucifixion, as including such a
foot-rest.[32] Ancient sources also mention the sedile, a small seat
attached to the front of the cross, about halfway down,[33] which could
have served a similar purpose. A short upright spike or cornu might also be
attached to the sedile, forcing the victim to rest his or her perineum on
the point of the device, or allow it to insert into the anus or vagina.[18]
These devices were not an attempt to relieve suffering, but would prolong
the process of death. The cornu would also add considerably to the pain and
humiliation of crucifixion.
In 1968, archaeologists discovered at Giv'at ha-Mivtar in northeast
Jerusalem the remains of one Jehohanan, who had been crucified in the 1st
century. The remains included a heel bone with a nail driven through it
from the side. The tip of the nail was bent, perhaps because of striking a
knot in the upright beam, which prevented it being extracted from the foot.
A first inaccurate account of the length of the nail led some to believe
that it had been driven through both heels, suggesting that the man had
been placed in a sort of sidesaddle position, but the true length of the
nail, 11.5 cm (4.53 inches), suggests instead that in this case of
crucifixion the heels were nailed to opposite sides of the
upright.[34][35][36] The skeleton from Giv'at ha-Mivtar is currently the
only recovered example of ancient crucifixion in the archaeological
record.[37]
Cause of death
The length of time required to reach death could range from hours to days
depending on method, the victim's health, and the environment. Death could
result from any combination of causes, including blood loss resulting in
hypovolemic shock, sepsis following infection due to the wounds caused by
the nails or by the scourging that sometimes preceded the crucifixion, or
eventual dehydration.[38][39]
A theory attributed to Pierre Barbet holds that, when the whole body
weight was supported by the stretched arms, the typical cause of death was
asphyxiation.[40] He conjectured that the condemned would have severe
difficulty inhaling, due to hyper-expansion of the chest muscles and lungs.
The condemned would therefore have to draw himself up by his arms, leading
to exhaustion, or have his feet supported by tying or by a wood block. When
no longer able to lift himself, the condemned would die within a few
minutes. Experiments by Frederick Zugibe have, however, revealed that, when
suspended with arms at 60° to 70° from the vertical, test subjects had no
difficulty breathing. Subjects did suffer rapidly increasing pain,[41][42]
which is consistent with the Roman use of crucifixion to achieve a
prolonged, agonizing death. Legs were often broken to hasten death through
severe traumatic shock and fat embolism.
Survival
Since death does not follow immediately on crucifixion, survival after a
short period of crucifixion is possible, as in the case of those who choose
each year as a devotional practice to be non-lethally crucified.
There is an ancient record of one person who survived a crucifixion that
was intended to be lethal, but that was interrupted. Josephus recounts: "I
saw many captives crucified, and remembered three of them as my former
acquaintance. I was very sorry at this in my mind, and went with tears in
my eyes to Titus, and told him of them; so he immediately commanded them to
be taken down, and to have the greatest care taken of them, in order to
their recovery; yet two of them died under the physician's hands, while the
third recovered."[43] Josephus gives no details of the method or duration
of the crucifixion of his three friends before their reprieve.
=================
Isaiah 53
53:1 Who hath believed our report? and to whom is the arm of the LORD
revealed?
2 For he shall grow up before him as a tender plant, and as a root out of
a dry ground: he hath no form nor comeliness; and when we shall see him,
there is no beauty that we should desire him.
3 He is despised and rejected of men; a man of sorrows, and acquainted
with grief: and we hid as it were our faces from him; he was despised, and
we esteemed him not.
4 Surely he hath borne our griefs, and carried our sorrows: yet we did
esteem him stricken, smitten of God, and afflicted.
5 But he was wounded for our transgressions, he was bruised for our
iniquities: the chastisement of our peace was upon him; and with his
stripes we are healed.
6 All we like sheep have gone astray; we have turned every one to his own
way; and the LORD hath laid on him the iniquity of us all.
7 He was oppressed, and he was afflicted, yet he opened not his mouth: he
is brought as a lamb to the slaughter, and as a sheep before her shearers
is dumb, so he openeth not his mouth.
8 He was taken from prison and from judgment: and who shall declare his
generation? for he was cut off out of the land of the living: for the
transgression of my people was he stricken.
9 And he made his grave with the wicked, and with the rich in his death;
because he had done no violence, neither was any deceit in his mouth.
10 Yet it pleased the LORD to bruise him; he hath put him to grief: when
thou shalt make his soul an offering for sin, he shall see his seed, he
shall prolong his days, and the pleasure of the LORD shall prosper in his
hand.
11 He shall see of the travail of his soul, and shall be satisfied: by
his knowledge shall my righteous servant justify many; for he shall bear
their iniquities.
12 Therefore will I divide him a portion with the great, and he shall
divide the spoil with the strong; because he hath poured out his soul unto
death: and he was numbered with the transgressors; and he bare the sin of
many, and made intercession for the transgressors.
Isaiah 54
54:1 Sing, O barren, thou that didst not bear; break forth into singing,
and cry aloud, thou that didst not travail with child: for more are the
children of the desolate than the children of the married wife, saith the
LORD.

KJV

Ps 19:14
14 Let the words of my mouth , and the meditation of my heart, be
acceptable in thy sight, O LORD, my strength, and my redeemer.KJV
AUTHOR: THE LORD
TELL SOMEONE ABOUT THE LOVE OF JESUS!
B A BLESSING 2 SOMEONE 2DAY 4 JESUS!